1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New materials, English / literacy 3,4,5

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by RaymondSoltysek, May 18, 2012.

1. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

New materials on close reading, analysis and persuasive writing
    available on Education Scotland. Hope English teachers (and perhaps
    some others!) find these useful.

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/resources/nq/e/nqresource_tcm4718879.asp?id=context\|Presentation%20sector\|Secondary

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/resources/nq/e/englishpersuasivewriting/introduction.asp?id=context\|Presentation%20sector\|Secondary

2. RaymondSoltysek

New materials on close reading, analysis and persuasive writing
    available on Education Scotland. Hope English teachers (and perhaps
    some others!) find these useful.

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/resources/nq/e/nqresource_tcm4718879.asp?id=context\|Presentation%20sector\|Secondary

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/resources/nq/e/englishpersuasivewriting/introduction.asp?id=context\|Presentation%20sector\|Secondary

3. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I really like the persuasive writing materials, especially the bit on using numbers. Thank you! I'll be using a selection of the resources with my S5.

Readaholic - I am also against cuts to pensions and other areas of education funding. However, teachers all over have been crying out for exemplar material suitable for new qualifications and here we have some.

4. RaymondSoltysek

Thanks, halfajack! That section came out of picking up Numeracy with my PGDE English students. At first, I didn't have a clue how to go about it, so I'm glad you find the approach useful.

If you have any queries about the writing materials or any suggestions for improvement, by all means drop me a line.

5. Hi Raymond,
    I have found resources useful, particularly the idea of developing a writing habit. In my new Higher English class, I have 12 pupils who are blogging and 18 keeping a handwritten journal - 10 mins a day or an hour a week. I have volunteered to do this too so am writing a blog for them with links to interesting things and other thoughts about life and Higher English... I'm aiming to create an environment where we are all writers and we all have interesting things to say.

I have a slight concern about internet security and encouraging pupils to go online to write but I think this is outweighed by the many positives that blogging offers. Most are using Wordpress or Blogger but a couple are using Tumblr as ther already used this site for writing or social networking (they have set up separate accounts for Higher English writing). I keep checking the GTCS guidelines on use of social media and I think I am doing it all in a responsible way. Any thoughts?

6. RaymondSoltysek

Hi snackajackie - and thanks, it sounds as if you're using my stuff in fantastic ways to do just what I hoped it would.I constructed the materials knowing that individual teachers, schools and authorities would all have their own preferences and policies regarding internet access and security; I'd imagined that many might want to use closed systems, such as GLOW. I'd just keep your PT and SMT informed of what you're doing: they may want to get parental consent - or at least keep parents informed so that they can oversee what their children are doing and who they're interacting with. However, keeping everything above board and all parties informed should keep you right. Sounds as if you're going about it the right way to me.By all means, drop me a line to discuss how it's going if you like.