1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New look EYFS question

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by toobusy, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I have looked at the Tickell proposals for assessment at the end of EYFS, which on the face of it look simpler and more sensible. Do we know whether we will still be expected to plan using the existing developmental matters and profile points, or will we be able to use our own ideas and methods? Also, what will happen to comparative data based on these simpler statements?
    I hope the answer to this is that we will have more autonomy to plan and assess for our children's needs and interests as we see fit, with less paperwork and more time to teach. Does anyone one know any more about this?

2. I have looked at the Tickell proposals for assessment at the end of EYFS, which on the face of it look simpler and more sensible. Do we know whether we will still be expected to plan using the existing developmental matters and profile points, or will we be able to use our own ideas and methods? Also, what will happen to comparative data based on these simpler statements?
    I hope the answer to this is that we will have more autonomy to plan and assess for our children's needs and interests as we see fit, with less paperwork and more time to teach. Does anyone one know any more about this?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Until the new curriculum becomes statutory you must continue to use the current one. The content of new curriculum/profile is largely unchanged just squeezed into fewer (broader) profile points [​IMG]

4. Thanks for your reply Msz. What I think I'm trying to ascertain is that I will (when this becomes statutory) be able to use my own methods of formative assessment to complete the simpler/best fit end of year assessment. I would use the early learning goals as a basis for my planning, but would not be restricted by their simplicity and would have much more freedom to teach to the children's needs and interests and in my own personal style. Currently I use my own methods of assessment(plus tracking/next steps), then transfer this information onto the profile grid/eprofile and I feel it deminishes as I do this and that I am having to make it fit in the boxes when it is actually more meaningful than the box statements.
    As far as comparative data goes, what will be the new average child (currently 6+points) I wonder? Will it be expected or exceeding? I wonder what % of each level LA's will set targets at?

5. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

I am also wondering about how we will be expected to assess when the new guidance becomes statutory. Will we still be expected to maintain Learning Journeys/ books full of observations? Will we be given guidelines as to what will be expected? When will the new curriculum be published?

6. Msz

We were always told not to plan to ELGs but perhaps this is how you have been told to work [​IMG]. There are fewer ELGs in the new curriculum but if you look closely most of the content of the old ELGs remains so not real change in effect.

7. Hi qualiteacher!
    In the Tickell report it says"only a small number of key achievements need to be recorded periodically and skilled practitioners should spend most of their time interacting directly with children to guide their learning rather than writing things down" and "that Ofsted and LA's should be talking directly to practitioners about their methods for checking children's progress"
    Personally, I would use a learning journey or children's special book as my main source of wriiten evidence for a child's progress, but it would be an evolving document, very much the childs and not filled with things I felt I had to put in it.

8. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

At the moment we have one book where we stick practically everything that the child does: observations, annotated photos and 'work'. We are expected to label each piece of teacher directed work with a learning intention, success criteria and comment. We then go through all of this work and record it as evidence and mark it off on the profile if a point has been achieved. Is that pretty standard? most people do something similar now, don't they? What do you envisage yourselves doing next year?

9. Msz

The current document says nothing need to be formally recorded ... but I bet you are recording formally

10. To answer two posts in one. My prefered approach (what I have done in the past and hope to do in the future -long story!) would be to have a special book for each child, with photos, post its and child initiated bits, which they and their parents would contibute too and regularly access and from which next steps could be discussed and agreed. No teacher written objectives, success criteria, marking etc in this book, although I/parents might anotate some things and I might add a comment if we were sharing this book at special time ie "Jane is pleased to be able to recognise her first and second name, she wants to try to write her second name next, we will help her by....".
    I would also keep ongoing records of progress in phonics/reading, numeracy and writing (incl fine motor etc) For those who need it , I would keep records of gross motor, speaking and listening and social skills. I would use this information to group children for adult led /focus activities and look at how the children moved from group to group half termly to see(and measure) progress and needs and adjust accordingly.
    As far as any of this impacting on my time with the children, the post it's would be for significant acheivement only, photos when appropriate. The children can stick in and help anotate bits in special books in their special time. The ongoing records can be updated from adult led group assessment and evidence in special books, in my own time.
    I would feel confident from this both to know where my children are at any given time and to fill out the ELG's at the end of the year.
    Are we expecting to fill out the new slimmer profile half termly, I guess not, so we will need some form of ongoing assessment/ record keeping of our own to make sure we feed assessment back into our planning.
    Msz, can I ask what you base your planning on (based, I know you have moved ) if not the developmental guidance/ELG's. Did your school/LA give you freedom to write your own objectives( my previous setting did once, long ago)? I presume our proposed new curriculum is the Learning and Development Requirements given in the Tickell Draft consultation.

11. Msz

It is based on the developmental matters but not on the ELGs

12. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

Our LEA is saying that Learning Journeys will become more important than ever!

13. So far, I've only seen development matters in the 3 prime areas.
    I'm looking forward to the guidance coming out in April. [​IMG]
    As for learning journey's / good work books, they are the absolute nightmare of my life. But the one thing that I would never want to lose. Such a personalised record of a child's achievements and attainments whilst they are in your setting, with your comments and theirs. Lovely books. (but I hate them!!! lol)

14. Ha ha, just how I feel!! I also think as a parent these are fantastic to keep. I have to build myself up to update them but when I talk to the children about them & when they stick their choices in I just love it. And I feel I know an awful lot about my children...dont feel anything slips by, so they give me confidence I suppose. I know some people really dont agree with them & that is fine but for me...I have that love/hate relationship.
    I will be interested in the guidance that arrives regarding the new documents & my school/LAs interpretation!!

15. I agree about the love/hate relationship with learning journeys, but if we don't have to link everything in it to a particular profile point, if we can look at it as a confirmation of what we know already about that child and use it to find a best fit at the end of their time with us, the time taken to compile them might seem much less burdensome.