1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Lithuanian Pupil - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lynseymac, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Lynseymac

Lynseymac New commenter

A pupil from Lithuania has just started in my p6 class. He is able to read some English but is very reluctant to speak. He is a very bright boy and is doing well at maths. I know that the speaking will come in time. I'd really appreciate some ideas for things to do with him during language time. My local authority will probably send out somebody to help me in six months time but I could really do with some advice now!

2. I don't know if you're familiar with "before you know it" - they are interactive language resources in a range of languages and work on a flashcard system. They are very effective and can really help a child feel confident. I use it with English children as well - they see it as a treat to get the Lithuanian child to teach them colours, animals etc.

If you go to www.byki.com there are free programs to download in loads of languages, including the one you need. Enjoy - you should learn something too!

3. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Is that about 10y? I wonder if you could bridge from reading into speech perhaps with games that have clues or questions to read out and answer as you land on squares, books or programs which feature quests where you have to read and make choices, etc.; number games if he's strong on number (the take a card and do the sum type), coin dice etc.; reading for meaning and matching labels to pictures e.g. photos of activities or topic work and then using the same materials in a barrier game where one speaks and the other hands over the correct photo. Usually the game element will overcome some shyness. The key thing is to avoid silent reading - all players must speak so he is just taking part normally, even if his English is not perfect.
    I'm sure some of the EAL teachers will have more ideas - is there a forum for them too?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

He may well be reluctant to speak just because he is new in the country and in school. I'd be worried about speaking at first in a similar situation. Especially with a very different accent and the knowledge my language wouldn't be perfect.

I'd just leave him be for a few weeks to settle in. Get some really nice, chattish, children to pal up with him, work with him and be with him at breaks and then let him alone. He will learn more about speaking and gain in confidence from just being with other children than from anything you can provide.