1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Literacy site...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by birchc_87, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Thank you very much lou2005. I aim to keep adding to the site on weekends, using lessons from the week and information the kids in my class need to strengthen their writing. A lot of people have asked for Year 6 and SATs based resources, so i will be adding more soon. If there is anything that you would like to see on the site, just shout and I'll try and see what resources I have.
    Chris

2. hb18

hb18 New commenter

Have had a quick look. Surprised to see newspapers listed as an example of a report as they are recounts - chronological order etc. This makes me wonder about the rest of the content of the site.............

3. Hi there amicalola!
    I could upload the videos for easy download however I'm not sure what the implications are for copyright infringement and so on. Although i want to put all of the wonderful resources and videos i have found in one place for others to use, i don't want to be breaking any laws! This will need some more looking into. However, as a compromise, if you would like to find out my sources, i could create a separate area on the site for this information. In the meanwhile, the Robin Hood piece came direct from the National Framework site for Year 5 (this was prior to the change of government last year when the resources were shifted around and made harder to find I'm afraid). Please also feel free to show all videos direct from the website in full screen mode. I do hope your local borough/council have not blocked you from using the site at school!
    Kind regards,
    Chris

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Oh brother!
    It does worry me when people get so hooked up on their curriculum documents that they forget that such distinctions don't exist in the real world!

5. Hello there... me again...
    Wanted to say a huge thank you to those of you who have been making use of the new site. People as far as France and Spain are also using the site, which is great to see. As always, I aim to upload new information and ideas regularly. You will find that the Spellings section is the most worked on and most useful part of the site and has 30 words for different spelling rules (which are mostly appropriate for year 4 and 5). Also, recently added to the site are some helpful hints on how to encourage kids to learn spellings for those controversial weekly tests. (I'm sure that another thread will be discussing the pros and cons of spelling tests- if not, i'll start one soon!)
    Cheers
    Chris

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Link above does not work had to go back to the one from February.

7. Dear All,
    Many apologies for the broken link in my last post and for your patience in returning to an old post to visit the site. As well as working hard on the Early Morning Work section, the VCOP Menu has also been revamped to be easier to use and so that more pages can be accessed easily, such as the alternatives for 'said' page and the huge range of adverbs children can use in their writing.
    I would like to draw your attention to the following aspect of the website http://www.keystage2literacy.co.uk/descriptive-writing.html, which has recently been updated as a result of work done with my class this week. I have been doing some Descriptive Writing which, linked with art, can form a good piece of work with your new class in September (although at our school, the children move up two weeks before we break up!) The quality of writing is insane for children in year 5 having just moved up from year 4.
    Later, I will be uploading the success criteria checklist i used with my class to help them to evaluate and uplevel their own writing.
    Many thanks for your interest in my site as always,
    Chris
    www.keystage2literacy.co.uk

8. Just had a quick look at the site and it looks great - lots of ideas - I especially like the early morning section. Thanks

9. mrcbirch

mrcbirch New commenter

Thank you very much for your feedback. I have been overwhelmed by the number of visitors to the site. Now that the children are back to school, the number of visitors had steadily risen every day. Thank you to everyone who has used the site. I do, as always, try to add new ideas or resources when I can.

I really want to develop the Display resources page and would really appreciate your own original creations. Please email to mrcbirch@hotmail.co.uk if you are happy for others to use them. You will receive full referencing and acknowledgement for your offerings. Please remember, I make no money from this site whatsoever... it is purely for the use and enjoyment of our children, their parents and us teachers.

Visit us at www.keystage2literacy.co.uk

10. mrcbirch

mrcbirch New commenter

New Search Bar available on the website! Many have asked through the 'Quick Question' section of the site for a search bar that will make finding certain things easier, such as finding a spelling rule and the spelling words associated. Please drop by again if you have already been and if you are new, welcome! I hope that you will spread the word about the site after your visit. The site still has a long way to go but is being updated on a regular basis to reflect the teaching and resources being used whilst i am teaching. Thank you. Chris

11. Trackerthecat

Trackerthecat New commenter

I wouldn't usually comment on something like this but I just happened to be organising all the "forgotten paperwork" from years ago that I had accumulated from my student and NQT days and found most of it to be quite useful now I can actually use it. The thing is, when I looked at your website, there was quite a lot on it that I had seen in all this paperwork. I'll probably get round to using most of it now it's on the laptop and not in a folder in a cupboard. Thanks.
    Sorry to end on a disappointing note, however I have just watched the Robin Hood storyteller video and it ended halfway through! I've used this before and it's quite good for the children to watch - any way you can try and sort that out?
    Thanks again though. Great website.

12. mrcbirch

mrcbirch New commenter

Good morning!! I can't believe it's been three years since I was last here on the forum!

There have been a number of updates to the site since I was last here including the Power of Music section as well as the Early Morning Work and Recommended Websites.

Don't forget where to find us: www.keystage2literacy.co.uk

After four years, the website remains a free-to-use and free-to-access site! I hope to keep it this way for many years to come although I would like to develop some resources for a minimal cost. The site has had over a million views in the last year and has nearly 300 Facebook followers. Just a few days ago, we also joined Twitter so please remember to follow us @ks2literacy

Thank you for your support- I hope you will find something of use at this site and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions as to how to improve the site further.

Best wishes for the forthcoming term.

Chris