1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Link Cards...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by abernibble, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Bang for buck in terms of learning Vs hassle I think there are easier to understand ways of learning the topic. You are asking kids to understand rules and learn something new at the same time. Simply learning something new with an open mind IMO is easier
    The platform is dated and doesnt suit people who are not 'clued up on macros'. (from a teachers/technology aspect)
    Visually it may not appeal to kids who are now growing up with far more aesthetically pleasing websites (supermathsworld is an example, which of course will date)
    Put 100 questions on the board, white background, black text. When a kid gets 100 <u>correct</u> they have the choice of playing in the sandpit or working to help others in the class. Those not getting 100 can take them home and learn them. You can easily then pick out kids who can, can't or worn't work.

2. Thanks for the comments but I'm not quite sure I understand what you are getting at???
    'The platform is dated'??? It's and EXCEL sheet that you print out and cut up cards from. If you mean link cards have been around for a while then yes granted they have...but the suggestion is to use them in different ways. e.g. a game for practising tables in a more 'fun' way than putting up 100 'sums' in black and white on the board and saying do it. Differentiation? ALN - dyslexic copying from board in black and white? etc...
    The cards could also be used individually as a differentiated card sort activity for example.
    'visually it may not appeal to kids'? Again I'm not sure what you mean here...its not meant to be done by students sitting at a computer its a resource for the teacher to generate a card activity for his/her pupils to do in a lesson at desks so 'aesthetically pleasing website' I'm not sure I understand.
    If you could explain then I would be greatful...

Thx

3. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Thanks for sharing those, I have downloaded a copy and I'm thinking if I make a set for myself and my department it will be a good way to practice tables. I think lots of different ways to work on tables in the answer in secondary. I can imagine using them as a starter or for a few mins at the end of a lesson.
    Thanks again.

4. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Looks like a good resource to practice tables as individual
    or class activity and can potentially save a lot of time being able to generate
    news sets instantly.

I&rsquo;m hoping you can clear something up for me though. I
    noticed on the top of 4 cards I have the answer is 1, then another 3 cards
    saying the answer is 2 etc... Is there
    suppose to be repeated numbers? In the past when I have used any type of loop
    activity I ensure an answer only appears once so the students can complete the
    loop with no confusion.

You instructions say give each student one of each colour
    and they get to turn over that card when they have used it. Is the present of
    repeated numbers to make it more of a competition to see who is actually
    quicker with the tables and can therefore turn all 3 cards over first instead
    of completing the loop?

5. Based on the quote above Im not sure we are going to find common ground or have a productive discussion.
    I shall step aside as I dont wish to bring negativity to the post [​IMG]

6. I only ever use link cards as a starter or plenary activity

So I tend to use a cycle rather than a game such as this

Nice resource though

7. The idea is a quickest on the draw with hands up with the repeats. I haven't written the cards to be unique. I have a tables bingo game that does unique cards and questions so I might combine them and make them unique cards.
    I've found the fun bit is the competition with the hands up game...

I may post a new one in a week or so with unique cards