1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Life for Old Tech.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Dec 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've just replaced my TomTom XL Live IQ sat nav and want it to go to a good home because it and all its accessories, booklets and cables are in very good condition. I tried to get it valued on 'Zapper' and they offered me the following:

New = £10.00
    Working = £4.00
    Faulty = £0.25

Surely there's countries where they haven't yet got a very good sat system and they could use this bit of kit. I don't want anything for it but I don't want it to get scrapped either.

It's all shiny and like new.

needabreak likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They'll "reclyce" it in Nigeria then burn the remains to obtain any precious metals apparently, killing the environment and no doubt people, it happens a great deal to our old electronic equipment.

eBay? Freecycle? Bin?

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If you're not bothered about selling it, give it away on your local FB group.

I joined ours a few months ago and have got rid of several items that weren't worth the effort of selling but were too good to chuck. I did sell one thing for £5, all items were taken away by grateful recipients.

Charity shops sometimes have the means to sell stuff online or connections with recyclers too.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Just advertise it on Gumtree or put a note in a newsagent's window. Someone will be grateful for it.

Out of interest, what made you want to replace it?

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My friend complains endlessly about his new satnav but refuses to use his phone instead even though he admits the phone does a better job. Why does anyone have a separate satnav anymore? Am I missing something?

needabreak likes this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I replaced it with a TomTom Via 52 which is supported by TomTom. The XL Live IQ would only take me where it had been before. It was great in the beginning when I bought it in 2010 but last year it ceased to be able to be supported by TomTom. It would take you to a big place like 'Doncaster' or 'Preston' but not to a named road or address.

Everything is in flux and it looks like this sat nav is going in the same direction.

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Nope... Waze is pretty cool.

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Do you have a CEX nearby? They will give you £8 for it. They sell it at £32 so you might be able to ebay it for £20.

Do remember to delete your journeys if you have saved them, - no need to supply a burgler with your routines!

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Is that true? I need to check my to,m tom then as I have had a car with a built in sat nav for 4+years but will be relying on my portable tom tom when I go to Slovakia in May (or not)!

10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I have an old Tom Tom One which I bought in about 2008. It is no longer supported but it still gets me to places, including new places, it just won't update so if there are new roads, altered junctions etc it won't know. Inver used to update it anyway. It is fine for now but maybe only for another couple of years or so.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

eBay, with 'Spares & Repairs' in the title.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

OK, I think I understand. What I don't understand is why it wouldn't work the same way it did when you bought it though. I get that it might not be supported with new maps and features, but how many roads have changed since 2010?

I have a personal view that sat navs are taking all the fun out of traveling and I'll tell you why.

I passed my driving test in 1970, long before sat navs or the Internet had been invented. The journeys I took involved poring over maps, making notes of road numbers to look out for as well as landmarks. Each journey to somewhere I hadn't been was both an adventure and an education. They were all about taking in the environment I drove in, looking out for road signs; and over time, taking in all manner of interesting stuff.

There was never an occasion when I didn't find where I was intending to go, or finding my way back home from.

It was around the time that I had to travel all four corners of our nation for work, that Multimap came out, so when I had to visit clients and be on time for appointments, I'd print off maps of how to get to their addresses. This still meant I had to keep an eye out all the time, for landmarks and street names.

The sat nav takes all that away. Instead of looking out for architecture and road names, which may be of interest beyond the journeys we make, we try to imagine how far away the 300 yards before we turn right will be. Do we notice the road names any longer and ponder how they were acquired?

There's so much fascinating history all around us that gets missed when all we ever notice is when to turn left or right.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mind you having looked at maps I am not sure Slovakia has roads!

14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I use my sat may as an additional aid to make sure I'm going in roughly the right direction,. I'm sure the vice versa more peevish each time it says recalculating because I've chosen to ignore is directions

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

They are useful if one doesn’t have a phone reasonably capable of holding or displaying satnav well.

I have used Tomtom and Garmin for a few years each, but now I much prefer to use Google maps which is better than the Garmin and probably as good, if not better than the Tomtom, which was expensive to update.

Other than Google, I have CoPilot installed on my phone which I bought as an app yonks ago. It does the job, but both the voice and its propensity to choose odd routes irritates me a bit. I use it for back-up or travelling abroad if Google map data could be expensive.

17. magic surf bus

I can read a map pretty well and have been known to successfully navigate by The Force when maps fail me. Doesn't stop me using a SatNav, a) to avoid traffic hold ups when arrival time is important, and b) to take some of the pressure off travelling abroad, which can be considerable where road signage in foreign languages is involved. If I know I don't have to turn left or right for x miles I can relax and study the surroundings. Unless it's an alpine road - best not to relax too much there.

Obviously you temper some SatNav instructions with common sense, especially when driving a 3.5 tonne camper van on the wrong side of unfamiliar rural roads, but I can only recall having to reverse it for a mile down a narrow lane once due to a duff SatNav route, and that was in Wales. The SatNav often takes us down interesting European back routes that I wouldn't dream of trying with a map, and I have the broken wing mirrors to prove it. :) We still get to see the unusual stuff - mainly because we're already looking for it, but often by sheer navigational accident. For starters the forestry track route to Mimizan-Plage would keep budding rally drivers happy, never mind camper van drivers.

18. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

You can download the maps you want from Google before you go, when you have WiFi. I never cease to be amazed how well Google maps (or Waze) work for directions. And how good the pronunciation is abroad even though it's still the same voice we have here! Yes, I know it's not a real person but still. I don't get why anyone would have satnav now, unless they didn't want to buy a phone, except using a phone would be cheaper than a satnav and doesn't go out of date!

Also, unless I'm really desperate I'd far rather memorise the route before I go. My niece was heading home from her Grandma's yesterday and set her satnav even though it's a really straightforward journey and she's done it loads of times before. A friend's stupid husband set his as he was driving, just to go to our local town, which he knows where it is and anyway is signed and three of us in the car to tell him where to go, and nearly crashed in the process.

19. magic surf bus

If you simultaneously log two different TomTom units into the same online account they'll synchronise - including current destination. That could be interesting for a couple heading to work at two different places. :)