1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Learning Objective Scheme - Your Thoughts and Ideas?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Cerhabor, Oct 26, 2017.

?

Would you implement the BSG Learning Objective Scheme after reading about it?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. Cerhabor

Cerhabor New commenter

Student teacher here, wanting your opinions on my "Eureka!" moment I had last night...

I was laying in bed, struggling to sleep, thinking of a bajillion ideas and I was hit by one which stuck with me: The Bronze, Silver, Gold (BSG) Learning Objective Scheme.

I am yet to discuss this with my mentor, however with the school I'm currently placed at wanting to implement certain strategies to increase their Ofsted rating (which I will not disclose). This new potential scheme could be of benefit, so please let me know your thoughts!

Please see below for info.

"The BSG Learning Objective Scheme was thought up and implemented by me (as I have not seen it anywhere else). I will be implementing this scheme in all my lessons to determine if this has an effect on pupil progress - this is what my Thesis will be based around to provide scientific evidence, whether for or against. The findings will be interesting, regardless.

The BSG Learning Objective Scheme aims to add a competitive element to students reaching higher attainment levels - not only does it encourage lower attaining students to reach higher levels, but it also provides higher attaining students with the accomplishment of "getting gold". Regardless of level attainment, it means that all students can be made to feel like winners as they are all able to achieve a medal."

I would appreciate if you could vote on whether you would use this scheme - based on the information above!

Thank you in advance!

- Cerhabor

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Well done for your enthusiasm, but I'm not sure how you will be gathering 'scientific evidence' through doing this. :)

Isn't this just the same as 'all of you will...', 'some of you will...' and 'a few of you will...', but you're giving them awards or points too?

I've done points based lessons across half-terms or topics, but it's only manageable with small classes - if the teacher has to track points every lesson based on work done it's a lot of work.

Is the award simply being told 'you achieved silver today' - know your audience, maybe that'll work in your school (are you primary?); other schools may need to give tangible prizes. That would mean tracking more data - no one will thank you for this.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

As above, well done on your enthusiasm, but it sounds very similar to a number of things over the years such as must, should could.

A quick search on Gold, Silver Bronze brings up this - https://improvingteaching.co.uk/2013/10/06/how-ive-tried-to-share-learning-intentions-better/
    which may be worth a read if you're intending on using that for your thesis. I'd also suggest you have a look through Cohen's Research Methods in Education before you start out (I'm assuming it's going to be assessed at level 7?).

4. Cerhabor

Cerhabor New commenter

Thank you for your feedback!

As mentioned (maybe I didn't explain it well enough?), I will be basing my thesis around the implementation of using this scheme and I will find a method to be able to assess whether it has had a positive impact on students. E.g. I could use a questionnaire to give to students to get their opinions then collate that with progress. Just an idea.

It won't be based on points, as I will be implementing it as more of an intrinsic-reward than extrinsic. Which means extra data should not need to be tracked.

Also I'm secondary, not primary. But I have definitely seen primary methods work just as well, if not better in some secondary schools. :)

Thank you for your feedback, and the sharing of that link - I had a read over it and it's given me ideas of how I could arrange my Thesis.

Shame I wasn't as original as I thought though!

(Original post cannot be edited, therefore please be aware this idea isn't as original as I thought, and I did not come up with it. Despite that, I do plan to implement it within my own lessons!)

5. blueskydreaming

That's not scientific - you'd be better off using it in one class, and not using it in another class, presuming the classes were equal, then measuring who performs better.

bonxie likes this.
  6. Cerhabor

Cerhabor New commenter

Omg that's an even better idea. Thank you!
    I'm kinda scared implementing it now, but I'll see what my mentor says then try it out if they give me the go ahead.

I think I'm more of a minimalistic teacher? But not sure if that's allowed nowadays with stricter guidelines and more needs to show evidence. :confused:

7. blueskydreaming

You should still tell your mentor - it shows you've been thinking about your students and coming up with ideas about how to motivate them. They could give some feedback and suggestions.

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

Other research methodologies are available! :)
    As mentioned above talk to your tutor about it and have a look at the Cohen book I mentioned.

9. Cerhabor

Cerhabor New commenter

Definitely. Thank you, I did tell her. Luckily, I got a very supportive and kind mentor. Whom also understood that she needs to see it in action before we start picking apart my techniques. I got very lucky.

Definitely - that book has been well and truly bookmarked in my brain. So I can actually do a decent job at my Thesis

(My previous Master's Thesis was a bit shabby - luckily I still passed - but I wasn't proud of it.) :(

10. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

Hi how does the bronze silver gold thing work I don't understand?

11. Cerhabor

Cerhabor New commenter

Basically they work as learning objectives: Bronze is a low ability task (a short description, for example); Silver is a medium ability task (e.g description at a higher level, or maybe a short explanation) and then gold is the highest ability task (e.g. description with explanation).

However the beauty of this scheme is that everyone can "earn" a medal, but because it has a slight element of competition, it encourages lower-attaining students to reach higher. Without taking away that sense of accomplishment from higher-attaining students.

I've uploaded quite a few resources that use this scheme, which I will be trying out in my lessons. Please check here, if you're interested:

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/ks3-4-gcse-atomic-structure-and-the-periodic-table-11757677

Hope this helps, and a word of advice: Maybe not vote "no" on something that you don't understand. It's best to vote once you understand the premise otherwise you don't know if you would use it or not.

:)

Teacher-in-Training42 likes this.
  12. Teacher-in-Training42

Thanks for explaining. that makes sense now :) At the end of the lesson do you put bronze silver and gold stars on the board and ask the students to use a post it not and put one thing they have learned from each one next to the relevant star (like just for the ones they think they can do it for?) Do you think that would work? I'm planning on doing this too now.. changed my vote :p

Cerhabor likes this.
  13. Cerhabor

Cerhabor New commenter

Haha! I wasn't saying it to be difficult.

Yeah, you could do it like that - that's a good idea! I plan to ask students to put their hands up and write down in their books what medal they think they could achieve based off the learning objectives. Then I can use this a quick way to look over a few books to have a quick recap challenge at the beginning of the next lesson to see if what students have put is actually what they can do by asking questions!

I really like the idea of Post-It notes too though, as they can still stick these in their book to please Ofsted and other members of staff that might like to see hard evidence of progress. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2017
  14. Teacher-in-Training42

Oh okay cool. I might just switch between both ways just so they don't get bored lol ;)

Cerhabor likes this.