1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New leader - advice please!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by popsicle79, Nov 10, 2019 at 8:50 AM.

1. popsicle79

popsicle79 New commenter

Hi all,
    I am taking on a one form reception class in January, so will be default year group leader.
    I have lots of exciting ideas, but loads of questions too!

Is anyone able to share advice about budgeting, resourcing, bringing up the data etc please?
    What do you wish you knew when you first took on a year group lead role?

:D
    Thanks in advance x

2. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Budgeting and resourcing will probably be limited by your school. I was lucky in my previous role as our school had a healthy budget and a dedicated budget for EYFS. You will need to give it a few weeks before you begin to see what the resource needs are. When you have worked that out be prepared to present a cohesive argument to SMT for more money- use data and talk about potential impact.
    One thing I found really useful was to make a calendar of important things to do throughout the year and then plot reminders and deadlines in my diary. Ask your new school what the EYSFP results were for last year. This will help you see priorities. Also ask if there is an action plan already in place for EYFS. Hope this helps. Good luck with your new post.

popsicle79 likes this.
  3. popsicle79

popsicle79 New commenter

Thankyou! Thats very helpful
    I'm going to spend a chunk of spring 1 building relationships and seeing how they use whats already there.
    I'm very lucky that my head is keen to revamp the provision, but Yes, taking a bit of a slower pace will be best in the long run - thanks again :)

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You aren't really a year group leader as there is no one to lead, but yourself! Mostly things people need to know are about leading the other people, but you are a classteacher in a one form entry school.

You will very probably find that reception is part and parcel of KS1 for most things. The way you run your own classroom might be different, but assemblies, nativities and so on are possibly all part of KS1. You are very probably going to need to use the same schemes of work as the rest of the school and that kind of thing.

You are still an inexperienced teacher, so go in as a classteacher and show off how well you teach your class before you start to call yourself a year leader.
    Improving data will happen via excellent teaching in your classroom, nothing more. Budgeting and resourcing will simply mean asking the deputy or head for this or that, or possibly the school business manager.

Talk to other staff and get to know them. Learn from them and enjoy the freedom that being in a one form entry school brings to you. However be prepared for the fact it is often much harder work than in a bigger school as there are fewer people to share responsibilities.