1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Le Creuset, totally dumb owner would like help...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by mimmie, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've just received a birthday present - a "Le Creuset" casserole pot - the largest one with a 6.7 litre capacity. I struggle with cooking, mainly because I'm out of practice. I can be reasonably capable in the kitchen when I get a chance, and can follow a recipe but seem to have a total mental block with having any ideas or being able to decide what might be nice when I'm faced with loads of recipes. I get snow blindness in the supermarket and just buy the same old stuff. Can you recommend some dishes for my new pot that might ignite my love of cooking again - I used to really enjoy it years ago.
    We are a family of four adults, and are meat eaters, mainly chicken and lamb, but will eat pork and beef too. We don't eat fish, curry or offal, but other than that, like most other stuff. If we eat out, we will eat pretty much any cuisine except Indian - we have no problems with "hot" food and like chilli, but there is an ingredient in most curries that give me and both kids violent migraines, but have never been able to work out what it is. However, we love Italian, Moroccan, Spanish, Greek, Chinese, Thai...
    Oh and finally, I work full time,so perhaps not things that take hours of preparation? And please tell me what to serve your suggestions with - even that may stump me!
    Many thanks for reading.

2. Hi everyone,
    I've just received a birthday present - a "Le Creuset" casserole pot - the largest one with a 6.7 litre capacity. I struggle with cooking, mainly because I'm out of practice. I can be reasonably capable in the kitchen when I get a chance, and can follow a recipe but seem to have a total mental block with having any ideas or being able to decide what might be nice when I'm faced with loads of recipes. I get snow blindness in the supermarket and just buy the same old stuff. Can you recommend some dishes for my new pot that might ignite my love of cooking again - I used to really enjoy it years ago.
    We are a family of four adults, and are meat eaters, mainly chicken and lamb, but will eat pork and beef too. We don't eat fish, curry or offal, but other than that, like most other stuff. If we eat out, we will eat pretty much any cuisine except Indian - we have no problems with "hot" food and like chilli, but there is an ingredient in most curries that give me and both kids violent migraines, but have never been able to work out what it is. However, we love Italian, Moroccan, Spanish, Greek, Chinese, Thai...
    Oh and finally, I work full time,so perhaps not things that take hours of preparation? And please tell me what to serve your suggestions with - even that may stump me!
    Many thanks for reading.

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I use my Le Creuset much as you'd use a slow cooker - meat and veg in a slow oven for a few hours. I do put a double layer of foil, folded, between pot and lid to make sure the seal is tight.

4. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

You can make virtually anything in it: boeuf bourgignon, coq au vin, stews, soups, hotpots, either cooked on the hob or in the oven. They are marvellous, but if you fill them too full, extremely heavy. I've also pot roasted chicken in mine and use it more than I do my stainless steel pans !

5. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Just re-read the OP: do you mean a ceramic 'pot' or the enamelled cast iron ones ( that's what I was refering to ) If it's ceramic then of course you CAN'T use in on the hob !

6. This one has me stumped because I just don't know where to start. if it is a cast iron enamelled pot then the short answer is you can cook anything you like in it. Stews, casseroles, chillies, tagines, soups etc.,etc.,
    If OP you are asking for specific recipes please do - there are many people here that can help. Please remember though that we are all keen cooks and even though we (well, not me) too work full time, we are happy to spend time preparing good food.
    Invest in a good cookery book - we all love Nigel Slater - try googling too; thre is a wealth of good recipes on sites such as the BBC.
    No need to feel daunted - you cooked once - you can cook again! Enjoy.

7. Hi all,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I would love to be a better cook, and really enjoy watching cookery programmes - it's just transferring it to the kitchen now! Yes, it's a cast iron enamelled pot - teal in colour and looks lovely sitting in my kitchen - albeit empty and unused as yet!
    I had a fabulous lamb tagine with apricots recently at a friends house but when I asked for the recipe he said it was a mixture of Nigel Slater and River Cottage - so if that means anything to you, and you have a tried and tested recipe, I'd love to give it a go, and I'll keep you posted on my progress! Thanks again.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

No great mystery here....Le Creuset is just a bloody heavy cooking pot! No mystique but you will develop arms like Popeye [​IMG]

9. Apart from what has already been mentioned, the Le Creuset website has lots of recipes for you to try.
    http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/recipes/
    I don't have a Le Creuset, but the same kind of pot and I use it for all the kinds of things landaise has mentioned, plus also to make a pot of rice pudding, braising cuts of meat, cooking up a ham shank, always for my gulasch, my somerset pork stew, chicken fricasse, poaching chicken or chicken thighs, etc.

10. Thanks everyone - I guess I just need to get on with it. I know that probably sounds bizarre to all you fab cooks out there who rustle up delicious food on a daily basis.
    Soooo, it's going to be the Nigel Slater tagine - I decided that I would just make the first thing that anyone posted a full recipe for, so the tagine will have the (perhaps dubious!) honour! I'm delighted with this recipe Cosmos - it looks gorgeous. Then I'll tackle some of the le Crueset recipes - thanks CQ for the link.
    I'll report back - I hope to do the tagine tomorrow!

11. LOL - we are sometimes lazy too. We have all admitted to our lazy days where we eat...well, let us not talk of that [​IMG]
    Stick around and have some chats with us - you will no doubt find lots of ideas of what to cook that way. Join the nevereverding what are you eating tonight thread and you will have a dozen ideas very quickly [​IMG]
    Now then, if you will only use this blinking expensive thing to make something that you have a recipe for, I shall have to see where I posted the Somerset pork recipe - it is very yummy...

be right baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

12. Well done mimmie - I'm sure you will enjoy both cooking and eating the tagine. Once you get started you'll find dozens of uses for your lovely new pot.

13. Just to update all you kind people who helped me... the tagine was finally cooked today, having been postponed due to various unrelated hurdles! Well... wow! It was fab - phew! My kids were delighted, my OH actually scared me because he consumed three huge portions and I began to think he might explode, and a cookery-mad friend unexpectedly popped in and gave it her seal of approval. Hours later, everyone is wedged in their seats, stuffed to full capacity.
    Thanks to you all for the encouragement. I really enjoyed making it. However, now they want to know what I'm cooking tomorrow!