1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Lap top

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Mar 3, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

We've just bought this one:
    http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/product.php?id=XF104EA&experience=direct
    and we're very pleased with it.
    It does depend on what you want to use it for. This is a real 'working' machine, rather than a 'gaming' machine. OH has to do some very tricky work in Excel and this can cope with it as well as our desktop machine. It is a 17" inch screen though - transportability was less important to us than not always having to put our glasses on to read the screen!

3. marlin

4. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Its mainly for teaching and using the net. I want it to be fast though. I have an external hard drive too if that changes anything. I will have a look at your link thanks.

5. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

How much did you pay for it and where did you get the lap top?

6. marlin

Our son is a bit of a computer geek and when we gave him our requirements the HP was the one he came up with as his suggestion.
    I liked that it had 4GB memory, 500 GB Hard Drive, built in blue tooth and webcam. It also has an i3 processor.
    We have an external harddrive too and use this to back up the computers in case of crashing.

7. marlin

We bought it direct from HP because we could get the two year free warranty.

8. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I will have a look and see if Currys sell this machine.

9. marlin

I can see this one that has a smaller screen, if that's what you're wanting, but can't get it to load the details to give the link to you. It has many of the features of ours. HP G62-b25sa 15.6" Laptop - Blue

10. marlin

11. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Interesting tip that I found out when I bought mine in Currys.
    As the price is reduced by e.g. £50, they also knock a penny off. So, something which costs e.g. £499.99 is the latest machine. It then goes e.g. £459.98. Then £429.97.
    The sales rep (who was refreshingly honest) said he was meant to be pushing me towards the stuff ending in 97p, since - in his words - these are the machines that have been in the store for a long time and they want rid of. The .97 ending is there to direct the sales reps towards the old stock they need to clear.
    PC World are part of Currys and use the same method.

12. marlin

Well I never! Thanks for that little nugget! I shall remember that in future.

13. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

14. marlin

Obviously the decision has to be yours, but be aware that this is the Athlon processor and so will be slower than an i3. It seems you are looking for a smaller screen than we chose. You have to think about what is most important to you - do you need blue tooth for instance?
    It's getting very late now - I wanted you to know I had seen your message, but it might be best if I come back in the morning with a fresher mind!