1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New KS3 resources uploaded

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by matryoshkadoll, Apr 6, 2011.

1. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

Hi guys just uploaded some new resources for KS3 and both have been either good or outstanding in observed lessons in the past two weeks. New assessment tool idea as well for NC levels 3-6 - but able to adapt. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Ta

xx

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Hello Matryoshkadoll and everyone,

I had a look and liked the resources a lot - but had a few suggestions for caution and improvement. I regard Matryoshkadoll as a real friend and have huge respect for her work, so I was concerned that she might take my suggestions as criticism. However she responded with generosity of spirit and explained that the group she is working with is a year 9 group which has studied the Holocaust and Rwanda genocides in some depth so they were not meeting the images for the first time in this power point.

I think that the topic on suffering - and the way it can shake the faith of those who have a rather 'Father Christmassy' naive image of God - is tremendously important and I guess that many RE teachers have great resources which encourage a depth of thought and reflection on it.

Would others like to share so that we can collaboratively add to the great resource that Matryoshka has uploaded?

3. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

This is based on the reply I gave to Matrioshka as a pm.

....I'm so relieved that you're not offended by my comments. I totally understand the situation when you put it into this context. I was just seeing it as something an inexperienced teacher might use with any ks3 group which could be quite tricky - and even harmful.

Do you think you could add a 'teachers guide' saying just what you have said here, and perhaps referencing it to my comments?

Another idea I've had is to research texts and quotes, poems etc which come from loads of different religious and non religious sources, related to suffering and death.

I will start to check out a few that I have found helpful in teaching this topic to year 9 and over. (but going away today for a couple of weeks so may not get much together before I return.)

This is such a huge issue for everyone, child, young person and adult alike. The different texts could be given with the diamond shape prioritisation exercise - or one I often used was to give a score, a bit like on evaluation sheets when we go to inset - 1 to 5 with 1 is I really don't like/agree with/'get' this and 5 is 'I totally agree with this.'

Analysing the results can give a nice opportunity for cross curricular maths work and produce some great graphs. It also stimulates discussion and strengthens awareness of diverse opinions and the way that no one view is 'right.'

I think I will put this on the forum to add to the thread as others may have good insights and ideas(!!!!)

In my view, if we just teach this one topic well then we will have made a great contribution to the emotional and spiritual development of our students. And if we don't teach it well, we may have done them quite a serious dis-service as we are just reinforcing their own doubts and fears but in an intellectually and academically 'approved' way. It's so important to show that people of great faith have an answer to the 'suffering and God' problem. Often those who have suffered the most have the deepest faith (including Jesus).

The experience of Jesus on the cross crying out 'My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me' is central here. Many Christians (and others) would say that God is so close to us that He is with us in our suffering. And in our suffering we have to cry out to Him because there is nobody else who can help. And in that desperate, helplessness, He does respond.

We have to teach this topic with enough depth and rigour, enough time and integrity, for our students to really connect with the issues and apply what they learn to their own situation. This is so important, the 'learn from' as well as 'learn about' aspect of the topic. They have to be able to connect it with their own emerging experiences of suffering and faith.

I think that one woman in four suffers from domestic abuse. I don't know what the statistics on child abuse are but I think its about one in twenty. It may be more than that. Every single week a woman dies at the hands of someone she knows - and children are harmed if not killed by those who should be looking after them. Then there are the lesser evils - but no less examples of suffering which most of our students will have experienced, bullying, unfairness, meanness, and for some the trauma of family breakdown and divorce.

It's salutary to remember that our children and young people score as some of the most unhappy in the world. Our society is forcing them into a totally unnatural situation, from the sexualisation from adverts and social pressures to drug, alcohol and gang pressures, perhaps with older family members in prison - to the intense competitiveness of school - in a structure which many can simply not succeed in. And one child in ten suffers from mental health problems as a result.

Some of our students will be living in a hell where there is serious suffering happening in their lives. They may be fearful and trust nobody. They may self harm or develop eating disorders as a result. Some may attempt suicide.

Let us work together to create some powerful resources on this important topic of suffering, inspired by those you have created and adding to them. I'm sure that all the RE teachers who visit this site will have experiences and good resources to share.