1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'New' KS3 Novel

Discussion in 'English' started by wizdom1, Apr 1, 2020.

1. wizdom1

wizdom1 New commenter

I am hoping to create a series of lessons on a ‘new’ KS3 novel and wanted to find out which KS3 text you would love to teach that isn’t already being taught.

Please indicate which year group/ ability... etc. you feel it would appeal to the most.

Thanks in advance!

2. ogover

ogover New commenter

The Scarecrows by Robert Westall is a personal favourite.

In short: it is about a 14 year old boy-Simon Wood struggling with the death of his soldier father-whom he idolizes- and the introduction into the family by his mother of her new artist husband. The Scarecrows the title are to are physically real but become metaphorical for the incoherent rage Simon is in danger of being consumed by. It makes for quite a good starting point for psychoanalysis in literature.

https://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/book/973/The-Scarecrows-by-Robert-Westall.html

I would think Y9 medium ability plus.

3. wizdom1

wizdom1 New commenter

Thanks ogover, I haven't heard of The Scarecrows - I'll check it out. :)

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

The Giver :)

5. wizdom1

wizdom1 New commenter

Thanks! Just read a synopsis - do you think this would be more suitable for year 7/8?

6. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I would say go with year 8. If it's too easy, drop it down to the year 7s. If it's too hard, give to year 9s. I say, always start in the middle when introducing texts you're unfamiliar with (unless it's simply easy or too hard).

7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

Our school is doing The Giver with year 7. I've put some lessons on this website already.

8. wizdom1

wizdom1 New commenter

Thanks!:)

9. wizdom1

wizdom1 New commenter

Lovely - I'll check it out!