1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Key stage 3 scheme of work

Discussion in 'Science' started by louise muppet, May 15, 2009.

1. Can anybody suggest any schemes of work for the new key stage 3 which teach through themes rather than the traditional scientific topics such as Wikid? Also, does anybody have any experience of Wikid or other schemes and could you give me some feedback?

2. If you want to learn more about WIKID have a look on here:
    http://www.wikiedscience.com/login.action?os_destination=%2Fhomepage.action
    It is free to sign up and allows you to see what the content of each unit is, look at some of the resources and read teacher comments.
    I'm leading the change over to WIKID at my school and it just seems so much better than the old 12 units per year. Heavy on the photocopying, we are laminating everything we can so we can reuse it, but great on HSW and getting kids engaged. Some of our teachers feel it is too perscriptive but everything is on word or powerpoint so you can adapt it to suit you and your classes. Also some units are very long so you either end up over running into the next term, missing out stuff or cramming it in but they are working on reducing the number of lessons so all units are 16-18 hours.
    If you are in the South you could always email Nigel Heslop, address on the WIKID wiki site above. He is more than happy to come to schools. A word of warning though be very tight on your timings as he can go on a bit.

Hope that helps
    Shoop

3. I am sorry to disagree, perhaps I am looking at it wrongly. I think wikis is the worse scheme of work I have ever come across in my 20 years of teaching science. It is all themes and it is so hard to get to the science.The lesson plans are awful or non-existent. Hate it and we are getting rid of it.

Andrew

4. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

I find some of the units in Wikid are better than others, and in some I ignore the themes totally because they are confusing (electomancer anyone?). However I would hope that whatever scheme you buy or adopt there would still be a fair amount of input from your department to make it suit your establishment and students. It is impossible to buy a scheme of the shelf and not teach it without adapting it (and do your students justice...)