1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Job working in Year 2

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by EmnaKarim, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Hey,

I have been working within the Early Years for about 4 years. I have a new job in september and will be working as a 1:1 assistant in Year 2 with a boy who has ASD. Any advice as to information I could read or research to help me prepare.

2. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

Hi... If he isn't new to the school I would find out as much as possible about him from his current teacher/ or LSA.. If you are not familiar with ASD then go on the national autistic website and there are loads of things on there which will help you learn. If you are looking for resources *** have a lot now of specific resources relating to autism, work station activities and so on.. In my experience just like everyone ASD is not the same in each child, it affects differently but some things will cross over.. I have always found that children get have a lot of anxiety so I found sensory toy good for things like carpet time, big groups, situations that can potentially overwhelm....it is a fascinating area to work in.. Good luck x

3. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Ooohh how exciting to be having a change! AS Saland45 said you need to speak to his current LSA and teacher or if he is new to the school you need his report and plan from your SENCO (which hopefully would of been passed on..)

I find with my 1:1 a visual timetable is great, he gets to see the next 3 activites that we are doing and helps his anxiety. I like to get a heads up from the teacher so that i know if there are going to be any changes to the routine ie SATs week, or just this last week as its all different.

His behaviour is good, but if i do need to speak to him i make sure i use simple sentences and only say it once or twice as other wise he gets confused. Language is always one to remember as ASD wil take things literally, ie it's raining cats and dogs... lol they will look out the window for the cats and dogs. I have to be literal and to the point with him and he is with me as he only sees things as they are. So therefore literacy can be a problem as he doesnt have alot of imagination but maths science and art he can do unaided.

If behaviour is an issue i would suggest talking to the SENCO on stratagies to deal with him, it might be low level but it could be quite high. A behaviour chart can work, so he gets a sticker for every good day (or even every good morning or afternoon if the behaviour isnt too great!)

I got a great book from a friend, ten things a child with autism wishes you knew. Also have a look on line as theres is loads of things that will help.

Good luck i hope you have a lovely year together x

4. Thank you so much. I had the opportunity to meet the lovely boy I will be working with. He is absolutely lovely and has a great sense of humour. From what I gather he has anxiety and struggles with change to his routine. So the ideas you have suggested are super.

Thank you again!! X

5. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Oh i'm sooo glad I can help!

It is hard for children when they need a good routine because things like assembley being cancelled can be terrible! Good communication with the teacher is very important incase there is a change to the day, its better to get to him first and alone rather than being told about a change whilst on the carpet!

Definatley sort out a visual timetable! Doesnt cost alot but can be very very handy!

Have a good summer x

6. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

I would agree sometimes u don't get much notice and something changes last minute...I would also concentrate on keeping anxiety levels as low as possible mainly I found anyway that anxiety if it is quite high prevents the child from being able to learn anything...a child I worked with was also sensitive to noise as well as having very high levels of anxiety and I cld literally feel the anxiety his heart wld be pounding so hard....stress .... Good luck...autism is a fascinating and thought provoking area... X

7. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

I find it fascinating too!

I would also ask if its possible to take him out of the room for somethings, I took mine out for writing assesments and also if it got far far too loud and he couldnt concentrate!

8. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

www.autism.org.uk there is a PDF on ASD.. Its for school staff. Its a really interesting read!