1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job TTC timing

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by purplecarrot, Jan 2, 2016.

1. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I was hoping for a bit of advice/reassurance. DH and I worked out that for personal reasons early 2017 would be a good time to start a family. But since then, ive accepted a new job so will only have worked in my new job a year when the baby arrives (assuming all goes well. Fingers crossed).
    I know it'll be touch and go whether I get occupational pay or SMP but that's ok because we're fortunate enough for it not to matter.
    My question is whether it will create ill feeling at work if I go off on maternity after a year. Will people think that makes me less committed etc? I know it shouldn't make a difference but I can't help worrying.

2. CharlieCharleston

CharlieCharleston New commenter

Hi purplecarrot,

More reassurance than advice - where I work now quite a few people have gone off on Maternity leave after being in post for a year - including a head of dept and the new HR manager! If your SLT are decent enough people they will be very happy for you and will be more bothered about recruiting someone to cover your maternity leave. I really wouldn't worry about it! After a year you will have established yourself in the school and will be in a good position to request part time if you wanted to. Best of luck and think about yourself and what is best for you.

3. corrina86

corrina86 New commenter

Just to reassure you... I started in a new school as part of the management team in September 2014 and fell pregnant at Easter this year. I'm due today and left at the end of the last term when school broke up for Christmas.
    We are in Special Measures and due our final monitoring visit/section 5 inspection this term, so a pretty crucial time for the school! However, my head has been fantastic and so supportive.
    Best of luck to you xx

4. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

I was at my school last year but was a NQT and only got a permanent contract in May for August onwards. I'm now pregnant and due at the end of June and my headteacher couldn't have been nicer when I told him. People accept that it happens when it happens. You'll be back after mat leave and it doesn't mean you're not committed to the school xxx