1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job starts properly tomorrow......reassurance needed please!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Twinkles, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I've spent a couple of days in my new school, sorting my classroom and meeting colleagues and we've had some Staff Training Days which have all gone really well and I'm still sure I made the right decision. BUT... now it's nearly time to actually start teaching, I suddenly find myself really anxious so I need some kind words from my virtual colleagues and friends please!

I think it's the prospect of being observed very early in the term that's scaring me. I think it just brings back the horror of my last school where I went from Outstanding to RI in the space of just a couple of weeks and was forced to leave at Easter to preserve my mental health. When I'm thinking rationally, I know that I am not a rubbish teacher and I know that my new school observed me teach and interviewed me and were very happy with what they saw.....but then, I thought that last time as well.

How can I feel more relaxed and prepared? Any tricks that you know to lessen anxiety?

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Just go in and do your best. Good luck.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Keep that very much in mind!

Get your school bag sorted before you go to bed tonight so that in the morning you avoid a panic looking for your memory stick or something else that is vital.

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck! Smile and enjoy the first day with your class.

Sort out your clothes tonight as well!

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

of course you feel anxious. Everyone in your position does. I am sure that even the most experienced of teachers do in September and without even starting a new job.

Try your best in the knowledge that with each day you will feel a little more comfortable!

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I start my new school tomorrow, too (inset and meetings tomorrow and tuesday); my classes start wednesday. I went in on Friday to clean my classroom and put some stuff away but am nervous tonight, too!

I am crossing fingers and sending positive vibes your way as I remember your struggles last year.

Hugs!

7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Feelings of anxiety are utterly normal for a teacher new to a school, and indeed teachers who are returning!

Feeling more relaxed and prepared:- it can be hard when you're knackered after a days teaching but do all your planning/marking the night before and not early in the morning (and preferably earlier.) Have a cut off time. If you can't do it by say 9:30pm (with at LEAST 30 min between your down tools and go to bed time which should be taken relaxing eg a hot bath/music/TV etc) Maybe a 30 min-1 hour buffer time between getting home and work to eat/watch the news? Ideally, do as much work as possible at school (providing you work better there, like I used to) instead of home, unless you work better at home.

Lessening anxiety - if you wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep due to classes/planning/lessons whirling around in your head, just tell yourself a field does not get ploughed in your mind and vow not to think about it. (You may benefit from turning the alarm clock around so you don't clock watch!) Some people would vow not to touch them but if necessary, take sleeping tablets if you need them temporarily (antihistamine ones.) To be blunt, antidepressants got me through more than one bad patch teaching, you adopt enough of a 'don't care' attitude to easily sleep.

I would advise any teacher to have one clear day off every week, either Saturday or Sunday (personally Saturday worked better for me as Sunday naturally feels more 'homeworky' than Saturday.

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Do not look in the rear view mirror...don't think about what went wrong in your last post, but think about how much you will enjoy tomorrow meeting your new classes.

Have a brilliant day.

9. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

If it's any consolation, I felt nervous the day before every first day in the school where I worked for 37 years!! When I did go to a new school, I thought I would be drummed out the first day as an imposter!!

A week from now, you'll be up to your neck in the new term/school/class and won't have time to worry.

Very best wishes!

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter

How did it go Twinkles?