1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job start on day of Ofsted visit.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Karvol, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I have never understood why teachers seem to want to spend time on teacher expectations. Isn't it the job of the school to lay down to the pupils what is expected of them?
    What is wrong with starting the new class by teaching your lessons and continuing that way? Surely the best expectation they can have is that the teacher expects each lesson to be used for work purposes?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Hmm...the wise course might be to go down with flu for the first day or two - just until OfSTED leaves!
    If that isn't possible, then I'd suggest making clear - in writing - that this is your first day: I'd have a slip of paper ready (multiple copies) explaining the situation to hand to any inspector who calls...

3. Speak to your HOD and the HT in the morning with your concerns. I am sure the HT may mention that you only started that day. But just be organised anyway with lesson plans, resources etc. Do your best!

4. you are only one person in a very big school, do what you would have done as the chances of them seeing you aren't that high if the head knows how to direct the inspectors

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Any sensible inspection team would be quite willing to miss you out of their lesson visits (excepting situations like being the only foundation stage teacher, for instance). After all, seeing you teach either an outstanding or an inadequate lesson is hardly a basis on which to draw any conclusions about the general standard of teaching in the school.

6. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

I would the lessons as if you are taking them for the first week: have pupils feel as if they are achieving something in these lessons. They'll have been told what they agenda is prior to their visit - it they want to judge a teacher newly-employed at this stage in the year, they'll be doing it for a purpose beyond you.