1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job start date

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ElleG26, Mar 25, 2017.

1. ElleG26

ElleG26 New commenter

Hi

I am currently in my final year of a 3 year secondary science education course and have managed to secure my first teaching role starting in September. I finish my course/placement/QTS in the middle of June and I have been hearing people saying that they asked in their interviews to start earlier (June) as unqualified but to get used to the school, classes etc. I know the school I am going to are short staffed at the minute so this could be something they'd be interested in. However, I don't know who to contact, how to ask or how it would work?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

We employ NQTs in this way. It makes for a smoother September - Just ring the school and ask to speak to whoever appointed you. They might well say yes. :)

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to discuss this with the school HR or business manager. Many schools operate an early start programme and use September-appointed NQTs once their course commitments are finished. Some also then start contracts in August so you get a paid summer.
    Congratulations on the post