1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Job - Set up and run course - no TLR

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Piranha, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

I may be misunderstanding this, but it appears to be the terms of a job you are thinking of applying for, although you use the word 'I' later on as if the job were yours. If that is the case, then anybody applying for the job knows the situation, and if they don't like the terms, they don't apply.
    I am not familiar with the TLR rules, but one reading of them is that all of (a) to (e) are needed for a TLR. Is that correct or could just (b) and (c) be enough to justify a TLR?

2. Just what is your point?
    You have seen a job advertised at a certain rate/grade. You either apply for it or you don't.
    Suggesting to the school that they have got it wrong is hardly going to make you a shoo in for the post is it?

3. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

You've answered your own question - with 18 students in presumably 1 class, you won't be responsible for anyone outside of your own classes. Therefore, no TLR. Anyway, it's simple - if you don't agree with the terms offered, don't apply for the job!

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

What happens two years down the line when the courses are "set up"? Would you then give up the TLR? In my mind, the post should attract a reduced timetable for the purposes of setting up the course, as opposed to a TLR.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm bemused - either apply on their terms or don't.
    For what it's worth - it doesn't sound remotely like it's worth a TLR to me. I spent the first five years of my career as the only teacher of two subjects, and had to set up, teach and run them unaided and unsupported. Lord, it was worth it for the development of my career - and that's what this job is worth to the people who decide to apply.

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

if you mean responsible for (managing) staff then a TLR2 would be possible, only a TLR1 requires that, but if you mean responsible and accountable for an area relevant to T+L, then quite so.

7. Thanks for your thoughts, I did think maybe I shouldn't apply because of the terms but my headteacher said that there is always room for negotiation, I guess I'm hoping this is the case!

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not from 'no TLR' to 'TLR' - that would require a re-structure of the whole school staffing structure, governing body approval, staff and union consultation, etc. That can hadly be 'negotiated' at an interview.