1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job - pay over summer

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sophiehaha, May 22, 2011.

1. There is the possibility that I may be transferring to a new job for september. I am worried that if this happens then my pay over the summer may not be secure. Can anyone advise on how I can ensure this?
    I am not sure if my current school would continue to pay up until the end of august, or whether the new school would pay from august onwards. If neither school pays over the summer then I would effectively be left without an income for two months over august and september - I would not be able to do this.
    Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Are you currently on a fixed term or permanent contract?
    If fixed term - it depends on what the contract states as your last working day tbh. Some will state the last working day in July in which case no summer pay. If it states 31st August yes to the summer pay. Likewise if the latter, make sure that you phrase your resignation letter that your last day of employment is Aug 31st.
    If permanent contract in a maintained school then yes to the summer pay.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Resign from your current job "with effect from the 1st September" - if it is a state school & you are on a permanent contract (not, say, a maternity cover) then you should be safe.