1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job offer, feeling a little nervous (12 month initial contract)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by gitmath, Mar 9, 2016.

1. gitmath

gitmath New commenter

I've been offered a new job in a brilliant school. All good so far. Only thing making me nervous is that the contract is for 12 months initially before being made permanent. I know this used to happen all of the time but lately it seems to have died off - or has it?

I know I can deliver in the new role and the school seems supportive but one thing that has kind of focused the nerves is the fact that I had a meeting about the contract - they seem to be making a big deal out of the initial term. Am I being daft?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In these days of budget squeezes, this is very common.

I think that they are making sure that people have read their contract and understand - we have had elsewhere on the forums a poster moaning that the school had "sneakily" included a one week's notice in a maternity cover contract (not all that unusual), making it quite clear that the poster had not read the contract when s/he received it, so it came as a bombshell.

And to be very honest, a school can very easily dismiss you - for no fault of yours - in the first two years anyway. It's really only after 2 years that you get more employment protection and so can consider the post as permanent.

But most people don't worry about that - if they did, they would never change jobs!

Good luck in your new job. Here is some reading:

Get yourself organised

Can I take my materials to a new school?

Best wishes

wanet likes this.
  3. gitmath

gitmath New commenter

Thanks Theo!