1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job offer and current one asked to resign

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Cpat1, Apr 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cpat1

Cpat1 New commenter

I have been offered a job for September and following the interview my boss asked if I had heard from them.

I said that they offered the job, I accepted.

Boss then asked me to ‘please give in my resignation so they can employ new staff’.

Was it OK to ASK me to resign?

I said I would resign once I had an offer in writing.

I would appreciate any helpful opinions.
    Thanks.

annascience2012 likes this.
  2. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

This all sounds fairly normal. Don't resign until you get your offer in writing. They will keep asking until you do though because they can't advertise for a replacement until you do (technically they can but it isn't good practice).

3. Cpat1

Cpat1 New commenter

Thanks for your opinion, first time I’ve resigned and want to make sure I do it right

agathamorse and annascience2012 like this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You've done exactly the right thing. Don't be rushed and harried. You'd be bonkers to hand in your notice without written confirmation of your new job.

agathamorse and annascience2012 like this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, what others have said. The job offer from the other school isn't formal until they have sent you an offer letter and you have confirmed your acceptance in writing. Do NOT resign your current job until that has happened - it's not unheard of for schools to make oral offers to candidates and then withdraw them.

And do check the offer letter carefully before accepting it. TES problem forums are full of people who got the formal offer letter and it was different to what they thought they had been offered at interview - usually a lower salary than they thought! Do not accept an offer letter that only refers to salary scale points - it may not mean what you think it means. Insist on the salary being offered as an actual £££££ amount. Anything you are not happy about or want clarified do it before you accept.

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

It’s normal as the school cannot advertise your job until you have formally resigned. With the resignation deadline approaching in the next 7 weeks for a September start, it is now the peak time for recruitment within schools, so HT’s/ CoG’s will want to know early as possible what vacancies they will need to recruit for. If you’ve been offered a new job, resign but tell your HT that you are waiting for a written offer and if the offer was to fall through, you would be looking to retract your resignation. It’s the HT discretion usually regarding this, so you’ll need to check with them.

7. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Don't do this, only resign with a written, checked offer you've accepted.

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

You can always contact the new school and ask them to email you a written offer asap. That seems the best method to me.
    Though @Rott Weiler is correct to advise you to check any offer very closely.

ilovesooty and agathamorse like this.