1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job no money until...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by flowergirl62, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hi I have just secured a permanent position in a lovely school where I was supplying until Christmas.
    Fortunately, for me, the position became available and after an interview with a few others I was offered the position.

I am really pleased as I had been supplying for three years and my induction was incomplete.

My problem is that I now find my contract started immediately on the 30th of October, I have no money as it was half term and there was no pay from the agency during the holiday and I will not get any money from the agency as I am now on contract. I have no way of supporting myself until the last Friday of the month.

Can I ask the school to give me an advance or do I sign on? I am stuck with bank charges going into my account everyday that I am overdrawn and will end up with no money when my wages do go into my account because of this and the cycle will begin all over again, living on my overdraft.

Has anyone been in this position before, it's a long time to work without any money. I am desperate.

All advice welcome.

2. Hi I have just secured a permanent position in a lovely school where I was supplying until Christmas.
    Fortunately, for me, the position became available and after an interview with a few others I was offered the position.

I am really pleased as I had been supplying for three years and my induction was incomplete.

My problem is that I now find my contract started immediately on the 30th of October, I have no money as it was half term and there was no pay from the agency during the holiday and I will not get any money from the agency as I am now on contract. I have no way of supporting myself until the last Friday of the month.

Can I ask the school to give me an advance or do I sign on? I am stuck with bank charges going into my account everyday that I am overdrawn and will end up with no money when my wages do go into my account because of this and the cycle will begin all over again, living on my overdraft.

Has anyone been in this position before, it's a long time to work without any money. I am desperate.

All advice welcome.

3. Congratulations on securing a job, you must be thrilled! As far as I understand it, the school are under no obligation to give you an advance, however when I was in a similar position a few years ago my employer (not an LEA but still public sector) did give me an advance when I asked. I would approach the school's bursar or who-ever is dealing with your contract, they will know who and how to ask. Nothing ventured nothing gained and I'm sure they won't think worse of you for asking if you explain your predicament. Good luck!

4. Thank you FlapDoodle, I felt embarrassed at the thought of going cap in hand for an advance but I certainly will if there is a possibility of getting some help.

I am in an Academy by the way, and they may have their way of dealing with such matters.

Thanks again.

5. Congratulations on the job.

I would speak to your bank, if you can show them you do actually have a job, and will be gtting wages and a salary paid into your account then they will possibly extend your overdraft until payday. It will stop the cycle and help you balance things for a few weeks. I know it is hard, I have been there. I had no money after a car accident, and had to extend it. But they were happy to do so, to enable me to help myself.

6. Hi Sparklelife, thanks for your advice I hadn't thought of that. I will do that this week.

Thanks again.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Ask for an advance of pay mid-month but don't apply for too much or you'll end up in the same position next month.
    Apply for an extended overdraft facility or a low-cost personal loan from your bank (if cheaper) to be repaid over perhaps 6 months.
    Look out for a credit card that gives 0% interest on purchases for a limited period. I have just taken out a Sainsbury one thta allows me to clock up £900 on purchases (not transfers from other cards) at 0% interest for 6 months, paying only the minimum amount each month. I'm putting all spending on it this month and will then put £900 into savings instaed of paying off the first statement. I'll earn interest and will withdraw the £900 to pay off the card in 6 months' time.
    Push your agency to issue your P45 asap and hand into your school/LA so that you keep your tax code and earn the first £620 per month of pay tax-free, rather than paying 20% tax on every £ earned if they have to put you on emergency BR tax.
    You have been teaching for 3 years. Have you claimed tax relief each year on your GTCC fee and the allowable portion of your union fees? If not, do so now. Tell the Inland revenue in a letter that you have paid £36-50 to the GTC in 2010/11 and whatever the fee was in the previous tax year. Ask GTC for details of your payment history. The Tax people will then refund you 20% of the amounts quoted that you paid unnecessarily in tax. Ask for the refund to paid into your bank account.
    Ask your Union what fraction of your subs is eligible for tax relief. With the NUT you it is 2/3rds, with the ATL it's 9/10th. You then get 205 tax back on the eligible amount. Again ask for it to be paid into your account.
    Tell them what you are paying this tax year for both fees and they will increase your current tax code and thus reduce the tax that is taken each month from your pay.
    Put as much spending as possible on a credit card so that you can delay the date when money has to leave your account.
    You can't sign on as you are working for more than 16 hours per week.
    If you have been claiming Housing benefit whilst working for the agency, you should be able to have the HB extended for up to 4 weeks after starting regular work.
    I hesitate to mention it but there are food banks being set up all over the country and accessing one now, when you are caught between weekly pay stopping and monthly pay starting might be worth considering. You could always 'pay back' ina few months time when your finances are back in order.

8. Thanks Jubilee, loads of stuff I had no idea about just need to find time to get things moving.

Much appreciated.

One thing though, what's a food bank and where can I find one?

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

To find a food bank you'd probably need to ask at Citizen's Advice Bureau, the Council or a local church. Food Banks are springing up here and elsewhere in Europe to help out people who are struggling to make ends meet, which is increasingly including the 'squeezed middle (class)'.
    They are run by volunteers and provide bags or boxes of tins, packets and some fresh food (donated or bought from money donations). Some recipients just need a one-off package and others get weekly help. In Germany they also have meal clubs and have noticed that in the last week of the month before middle-class workers tend to get their monthly pay, they have an influx of children from middle-class homes sent to get a free dinner.
    I think they're a great idea and I'm sure that many recipients will support the schemes or other good causes when they are back on their feet.