1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job, new worry

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by twirlgirl840, Jun 16, 2017.

1. twirlgirl840

twirlgirl840 New commenter

Hey everyone,
    I posted a while back after I had been signed off with anxiety 3 weeks before my wedding. I had been having problems with behaviour management and was on an informal support plan when a parent complained about my management of the class and threatened to take their child out of school.
    Fast forward to after the wedding(which was lovely) and after 4 weeks of I felt refreshed and ready to go back to work.
    Fast forward again 1 and half weeks later and said parent is again on my case, school wanting another adult in the classroom with me at all times or to possibly even take away my class!
    After a meeting with the head in which I broke down in tears several times, I was told I had returned to work too early and needed to get signed off again (plus this would be less money for the school than having me in school and a supply taking me class)

Today I had an interview for another teaching job (Which head approved of) and they said I interviewed really well. They called my current school who basically said I'm on pre-capability for behaviour management and have offered me a 1 term contract with the possibility to expend permanently. They were happy I was honest with my weakness.

However, I am now off sick probably for the duration of the final school term (which I don't think the new school knows about) and I'm panicking about half sickness pay over summer (having only been working there 2 years) and then job security after the first term in my new school.

I don't know if I'm just a bad teacher, or if I have had bad luck with my classes and desicions :(

Sorry it's an essay just wanted to get it all out! Any advice?

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

You can't be that bad a teacher if you interviewed really well and been offered the job.

That parent will be long gone and your honesty with the new school - they knew the situation when they appointed you for one term for this reason.

Concentrate first and foremost on your recovery, see this time through and begin afresh in the new place to get that permanent post.

pepper5 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What level of pay am I entitled to during sick leave?
    Your entitlement to sick pay depends on your year of service. All teachers are entitled to sick pay of varying periods, and this is based on an annual entitlement. The entitlement year runs from 1 April. The allowances are as follows:

Teachers in first year of service: 25 days full pay. Also, after 4 calendar months of service, you will be entitled to an additional 50 days half pay

Teachers in second year of service: 50 days full pay; 50 days half pay

Teachers in third year of service: 75 days full pay; 75 days half pay

Teachers in fourth year of service: 100 days full pay; 100 days half pay

For the purposes of this calculation, only working days are used. So, a teacher in their fourth year of service or later is entitled to full pay for the first 100 working days of sickness, as well as full pay during any school holidays or weekends that fall during that time. Normally this extends to a total of approximately 6 months.

1 person likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

To add to the above, there are some extra important details:

Your rate of sick pay during school holidays is the same as the rate you are entitled to on the last day of work - it won't fall during the summer. If you are in your second sick pay year, you have 50 days at full pay. So, if there are fewer than 10 weeks, (excluding half term) from the day you went off sick to the end of term, then you have nothing to worry about.

Your years of service include all LA paid teaching, so if you have had experience at other LA schools, that wil be included.

As far as I can work out (you might want to get other advice on this), if you were off on 1 April, then the period from then until your return would count towards your last year's allowance.

All this assumes you are under Burgundy Book conditions - if not, you will need to look at your school's sickness policy.

In terms of advice, I am not sure what we can say. Huge sympathy, of course, but if you are not fit to work, you should not go in. And speak to your union if you want to get definative advice on the rules or how to deal with your situation.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Many congratulations on your wedding and trust you had a lovely day. What exciting times ahead for you.

Without knowing the exact details ( and please do not post these as you could be identified), it is difficult to comment on your behaviour management skills, but please DO NOT think you are a bad teacher. Perhaps you do not have much experience, but you are not a bad teacher.

Many, many teachers struggle with challenging behaviour in classes and low level disruption. You are not alone and it is wrong to blame poor behaviour on teachers. Yes, teachers have to be able to manage behaviour but sometimes there are students and situations which are difficult to manage for all sorts of reasons. Teachers with many years of experience sometimes have situations just like yours.

Could I recommend to you an education site called Pivotal Education. They offer online courses on behaviour management which are useful and they are also very fairly priced. They also sale books one of which is called Taking Care of Behaviour by Paul Dix which I recommend.

Behaviour management is something that can you can get better at.

I think you just happened to have this one student who could have been "tricky" for anyone teaching that particular group.

Take comfort from the fact that the new school said you interviewed really well. Well done to you. That is a BIG achievement. To me, that says you are not a bad teacher at all. You should be very proud of yourself.

Get better over the summer, read up/study on some behaviour management strategies, go to your new school in September for a fresh start. Above all, get it out of your mind that you are a bad teacher.

6. twirlgirl840

twirlgirl840 New commenter

I think my 49th/50th working day off sick will fall on the last day of term. Does this mean I'll be paid full over summer?

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It sounds like it to me, but please don't take my word for it - ask your union or HR.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

This parent seems to have a lot of clout with the Head. He or she stamps their little foot and you are on an informal support (or scapegoat) plan and thought unfit to be in a classroom without another adult present. This suggests very weak, buck-passing management on the part of you Head.