1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job, new class etc - advice for an NQT?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by traine3, Jul 7, 2011.

2. What year will you be teaching?

I teach Year 1 so the first week is given over to transition activities and assessment. The first day is an introduction to how things work, we will do 'lessons' but they will be fairly straightforward activities and tasks. We also spend time formulating class rules together that we all put our names to. Lots of time will be given over to explaining how things are going to work, what you expect from them, reward systems, sanctions etc.

3. Will your school allow you to go in this side of the Summer holidays for the move-up day or just to meet your class in their current setting to smooth the transition for them and you? Ask to see your classroom for next year (and take photos) and whether it is possible to go in during the Summer to sort out resources/arrange it then so you don't have too much to do on the September training day when you'll probably not have as much time as you need to get sorted due to meetings etc.Hope that helps and good luck!

4. I'm just coming to the end of my NQT year. My tips for the first few weeks would be to remember that everyone else was new once and didn't know the routines, to ask questions, even if you think they are silly, to try and talk to as many people as possible (I felt uncomfortable and quite shy but was later told I hadn't tried hard enough to get to know people), and to remember that although you will have tough days it DOES get better!

5. Thanks for the advice :) Really useful as I am very very nervous!

6. Take things very slowly for the first couple of weeks. The routines you establish then will make things much easier all year. Have lots planned so you are never left floundering but don't expect to get through it all. Make sure you have lots of extension activities for the quick finishers. Enjoy your first year. It's a great job despite all the added pressures!