1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job issue...advice much appreciated

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by skye78, Jan 6, 2020.

1. skye78

skye78 New commenter

Hi everyone and Happy New Year.

I'll keep this brief. I quit teaching in 2019 and was successful at an interview for a part time role, contract signed with a start date TBC, outside of education.

This was early November 2019. I have yet to start.

I've sent messages, voicemails and so on asking when I'll be starting as money is rapidly running out, but get a standard response of 'soon...we are onto it' yet nothing happens.

Would you be looking for a different job after 10 weeks of waiting? Doesn't hold much hope for how they'll be as employers, I have to say.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I would be looking for a new job. I am not sure where you stand legally, so perhaps a chat with CAB?

3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Apply for a job and if something betters comes along, take it without guilt. If they sort their act out, you're sorted and can go as planned. Win - win.

4. skye78

skye78 New commenter

Thank you very much for your replies. I've given them long enough I think so yes, time to look for other possibilities. Wish some bosses would be more understanding and realise people cannot wait forever for answers.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I really don’t know why you have waited this long to be honest- I would have been chasing it up at least after a week of the offer. If they cannot get the induction and onboarding of a new colleague right, it just goes to show what type of place it is like to work there...

oHelzo likes this.
  6. skye78

skye78 New commenter

Thank you very much for all your replies. I have informed them I am looking elsewhere now and no more chances given...and again, no reply.

Also I have been chasing them up, daily, not weekly, since my interview, as my original post stated. But enough is enough now.

oHelzo likes this.
  7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

As you signed a contract they are in breach if they do not give you a start date, so you can sue.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Sounds as though they offered you a post, couldn't afford it, so hedged their bets to keep you dangling.

The fact they cannot even be bothered to acknowledge you stating that you withdraw your agreement to work there speaks volumes. Good luck in finding a better employer soon.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Lesson learned: Don't sign a contract without a clear start date for employment!