1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job in January

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by toastandtea, Dec 28, 2015.

1. toastandtea

toastandtea New commenter

Hi,

I'm starting a new job in January, having taken a step down from my previous role. I completely lost my confidence in my previous job and don't feel confident at all in starting my new job but I don't want this to come across. Any tips for starting a new job well enough??

sebedina likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You have to believe in yourself. Or why would anyone else?

So.......

1. Prepare thoroughly.
    2. Smile.
    3. Convey an optimistic attitude.
    4. Work hard at good relationships.
    5. Seek advice.
    6. Fake it until you make it.
    7. Tell yourself you can do it.
    8. Remind yourself of 3 key strengths.
    9. Be aware of 1 (only ONE) area you can work on and be determined to address this.
    10. Remind yourself you've done it all before.
    11. Take it slowly.
    12. Breathe.
    13. Lower your shoulders and relax your hands.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Great advice there from @grumpydogwoman .

I shall add one more piece of advice: feel proud of yourself and what you have achieved. Not only in your last job before you lost your confidence, but your achievement in striking out into a new job when feeling low.

Well done!

Best wishes for 2016 and the new job.

Lara mfl 05, marlin and Am_done like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

They appointed you so they already have faith in you.
    Just pretend you have it in yourself as well.

It gets better and easier as time goes on, you don't have to be super confident from the off.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

14, Have an action plan, don't try to do all at once, and stick to it.
    15. Ask a different question to every member of staff.
    16. Make friends with the cleaner and the caretaker
    17. Schedule time off

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

May I add, wear shoes that are comfortable for you!!
    Note, I don't say wear comfortable shoes-there's a vast difference!! ;)

Good luck. :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck!
    Always be yourself.

jomaimai likes this.
  8. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I have been thinking a lot on you, I am also starting a new job and I want to start it right.

So... over all that has been said:

18. Have lunch! Not the rubbish that is served in school, bring your own, something that you really like and that you have made. Eat it, you do not need an hour, but have the time to eat your lunch and forget about what needs to be done by yesterday. It is about respecting yourself, your body and your quality of life. Those 20/30 minutes will make a huge difference in how you see yourself.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

10. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOL In my daft brain when I got to the last one 'Read a poem aloud and your to do list simply melts away' I immediately thought most teachers will need 'The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner' to allow time for their to do list to melt away! :)

Thought of one more:
    If a task is of no use to you, and no-one will check you have done it, then don't do it.
    If someone else really needs it done, they will ask again.

JRiley1 likes this.
  12. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

I completely empathise. I started a new job in September which just wasn't for me and I negotiated an early release and left at half term. I was lucky enough to be offered a temporary role till Easter (now been offered permanent) in a fab SEN department of a high school.

My confidence was on the floor and I genuinely wondered how I was going to be able to pick myself up. When I started my new job after half term I was sooooo nervous. I took it a day at a time, have worked hard to get to know people and can honestly say I am so relieved and happy in my new position.

Just wanted to give you some hope that things can get better.

13. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

I should also have said I had some excellent advice from @TheoGriff and Middlemarch!

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon )

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I don't think I have ever seen so much good advice from such a range of posters on one page! My only addition, to anybody starting a new job, is to keep asking questions if you are all unsure of anything so that most of them are dealt with early. There are some things it is embarassing to ask if you have been at the school for a while.

jomaimai likes this.