1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job in Egypt, should I accept?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by olipage, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Hey,
    I have just got the offer of a job in Egypt near the red sea, to start September 2012. Just wondering if any of you have been or currently teach out there? Would you recommend moving out there, is there still difficulties now or has it died down?
    i am slightly wary due to all the political demos that have been happening recently. They seem pretty horrific!
    Although the school in question is not near Ciaro, is the trouble mainly based there or everywhere in Egypt?
    Any news would help me make my decision
    Thanks!

2. Hey,
    I have just got the offer of a job in Egypt near the red sea, to start September 2012. Just wondering if any of you have been or currently teach out there? Would you recommend moving out there, is there still difficulties now or has it died down?
    i am slightly wary due to all the political demos that have been happening recently. They seem pretty horrific!
    Although the school in question is not near Ciaro, is the trouble mainly based there or everywhere in Egypt?
    Any news would help me make my decision
    Thanks!

3. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

You have mail

4. Same question actually and same position, except my offer is in Cairo.

What is the situation like for living there now, would you recommend it? I have a trailing family so any advice would be welcome.

5. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

You also have mail

6. There are quite a few schools in Cairo, many of which have teachers with families among the staff. I don't know of any that are leaving.
    The political situation is interesting, but it is nothing like what is happening in Syria.
    Your concern should be more for whether you like Cairo or not. Some do, some don't.
    I have a wife and child here.

7. Red sea towns shouldn't be affected by any further uprising in Egypt.

8. Buttles

Buttles New commenter

If you cannot get anything better then, of course, you should go.
    What does the future in the UK hold for you?

9. Anyone lived in El Gouna? Anyone with first hand experience of living and working there?

10. That's a bit harsh! Knowing what I do about Cairo now, if I wasn't here, it would be top of my list, providing it was at this school or one other.
    Get to s good school and if you like Cairo, then it is great posting

11. Ah, by this response do you mean to say that it is a rubbish school? The package is not great but the area looks lovely. Just wondering if the school is up to date with resources etc
    Have you been teaching in any schools near the Red Sea?

12. Hello could anyone who has worked or still works for the school in El Gouna, please send me a PM. Im thinking of accepting a position there, however cannot find any infromation about the school anywhere on the web.

Many thanks

13. Although members of BSME, they break their protocol rules with regards to staffing. Be careful.

14. Be careful. Some schools in Cairo certainly are glorified language schools. Treatment of staff in these places is atrocious. On the other hand there are some great schools there too. Be choosy.

15. Be careful. Some schools in Cairo certainly are glorified language schools. Treatment of staff in these places is atrocious. On the other hand there are some great schools there too. Be choosy.

16. Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has information about the situation in El Gouna, Egypt at present. Accepted a job there a few months ago...just received an email from the Head teacher stating that due to current siutation in Egypt financial packages offered have been reduced. In essence package now offered is around 5k less than initial package I signed and agreed upon.

Also, according to email current staff have agreed to a drop in salary to stop school owners employing local Egyptian teachers rather than UK trained staff!

Can anyone comment on the current situation out there please, and confirm/deny the information I have just received.

Many thanks

17. I should also add that at the insistance of the HR department, two weeks ago, I booked flights for myself and my family - before booking flights I asked about situation and was assured that the current problems in Egypt did not and would not affect the school!

Any advice would be greatly received.

18. have sent PM

19. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

I was under the impression the salaries at this school were low anyway. With a five grand cut (I'm assuming £5000) they must be on the floor. Gouna is not a cheap place

The only reason I can see for this is that the parents pay in LE and you get paid in UK pounds. Because of the drop in exchange rates the school now finds itself with a financial shortfall. This is not entirely their fault (they can't control the exchange rate), but what is their fault is that you were not informed of this earlier and that they led you to believe that everything was OK just a couple of weeks ago. Not only that, but they asked you to book flights (presumably you paid and they'll refund) before informing you of the pay reduction. They have screwed you (regardless of how much they apologise).

Best advice, if the above is true, 1. start looking for another job or, 2. go along with it (but don't sign another contract) and start looking for another job when you get there. They have already broken your contract before arrival, what else are they going to do? You would be quite within your rights to go to the school, work there until you find another job, and then quit when you find one. Remember, they broke the contract, not you. On the other hand, you might get there and like it, even with the pay cut, and stay.

20. forest1234

forest1234 New commenter

Once they make these unilateral changes nothing is safe. I would be very cautious if I were you. Also now that it appears much more dangerous/concerning I would be very dubious about a pay reduction