1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Job in an Academy......

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by TheoGriff, Feb 11, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My advice is: join a union. Everyone should be in a union whatever sort of school they are in, but changing to Academy status makes it even more important.
    http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/InformationandAdvice/NASUWTPolicyStatements/PolicyStatement1/index.htm
    http://www.teachers.org.uk/academies
    http://www.atl.org.uk/academiescampaign
    The above are links to union views on academies; this should include facts on the impact that this will have on you.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

2. thanks, i am currently in the NASUWT but am moving from a school in a different LEA which is not an academy to a school which is an academy.....so i know i'll have a contract under new pay and conditions but i am hoping that, for the large part, most things wont be so different to what i have at the moment; the advert says MPS + TLR so that means they have to pay main scale right?
    also i'm worried about academies not being able to transfer on "continuous service" or something.....ahhh why cant it all be simpler?!!?

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm no expert (Theo knows far more than me) but in short I think:
    different LA doesn't mean no continuous service I don't think....the fact that it's an academy may mean that but I'm not sure
    they can pay you what they like. that may be what you'd be on in an LA school, it may be more, it may be less. It may go up every year, it may not.
    I THINK you can still pay in to the TPS.
    Definitely, join a union.

4. Just make sure you know what your contract will be in the future. Joining a union won't help if your contract is not to your liking from the beginning. You will get what you sign for. And if you are not sure, ask the school what the conditions etc will be and implications on your pension etc.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's not only very good advice, it's what everyone should do before accepting a new post in a non-LA school.

6. Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll make sure to give my contract a good read when I get it....!

7. I work in an academy and it has the exact same payscale as an LA school. Lots of academies round here and they all pay the same!