1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Job in a PRU

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Sinkingship, Oct 11, 2011.

1. I currently work in a PRU, and my main advice is always be flexible but consistent. Make sure there is always a carrot so to speak such as a chance to play games at the end of the session. We have 45 minute sessions, around 35 minutes work and 10 minutes games. I think what you will quickly discover is that advice tends to contradict itself. After saying being flexible you still have to have that line so they know the boundaries. A key thing I try and teach students is the ability to negotiate. If they dont want to do a piece of work thats fine as long as they can come up with an alternative.
    So in summing up flexibility, but clear boundaries, a carrot to end the lesson, rely on your gut instinct when dealing with incidents oh and most importantly a sense of humour to go with those broad shoulders you are going to need.

2. Thanks for the advice, appreciated.
    went in for a day today before official start on monday, really enjoyed - though most of the kids were out on a school trip!!

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I'd make sure I knew what rewards/sanctions are available and be clear about what is absolutely unacceptable to you. You need to know that if you give a sanction that it is one that the SLT will back you up on and ditto for rewards - it's no good offering/threatening things that you can't deliver