1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job - getting pregant in first 2 terms ?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by frak, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am applying for a new job to start in September having given notice to my current school, I understand that it is standard to have a probation period of 2 terms at the new school.
    I am however planning to get married in the Summer and start a family immediately this year, if I get pregant within 3 months, can the school terminate my employment within the probation period to avoid matrnity leave ?
    Is this a typical approach which a school might take ? Does anyone have xperience of this scenario ?
    Many thanks in advance for your advice,
    Helen

2. If you inform your new school that you're pregnant, regardless of length of service, they are on very thin ice if they terminate your employment. Because of the sex discrimination act, a woman who is pregnant cannot be let go for this reason, and your employer would be in seriously hot water legally xx

3. But the issue of course is that these things are hard to prove. I could not have taught competently at the start of my pregnancies presumably allowing them to sack me for being hopeless. Personally I would settle into the job first unless time is really not on side.