1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job as a TA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Shnshn, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Shnshn

Shnshn New commenter

Hi,
    I have training experience but never employed as a TA until now (Level 3).
    I’m looking for advice on what I need in my new job for the first week and beyond.
    I’m thinking diary, notebook as will have an induction and then get straight into the job...
    Anything else I should get to organise myself?
    I will be supporting a class and carrying out interventions, am obsessed with making notes and reminders and will need to make notes on things like using the schools photocopier etc.
    I will be working mornings only in a primary school.
    Is there anything else I should be aware of that can help me settle in?
    Thank you.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi Shnshn, congratulations on your new job! It's a great idea to have a notebook and diary - I'm an avid note-taker! But don't worry, you won't remember everything you're told in the first few days. School staff are generally pretty helpful, so please make sure you ask about anything you're not sure of. Don't think 'I know I've already been told how to work the photocopier, but I can't remember,' - no-one will mind.
    Make friends with the other TAs, they will be great allies. If you are able to, it's good to be in class 10 or 15 minutes before school starts. The teacher will be very busy then and won't have time to chat, but it does give them the opportunity to tell you about any changes to the day, particular children they want you to focus on, etc. At first, the teacher should direct all of your time, but you will quickly get to know the class routines and know what needs to be done when. Try to learn the children's names as quickly as you can. Observe the teacher and follow their lead when it comes to behaviour management and strategies to use with individual children.
    Don't worry too much about the many school policies in your first few weeks, but it's good to become familiar with the behaviour and safeguarding ones as soon as you can - they may be on the school website.
    Have a warm coat with you - playground duty is a chilly business in February!
    Enjoy your new role and let us know how your first week goes.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

full pencil case, including highlighter, ruler, pencil sharpener calculator. pocket dictionary

( enclosed pencil sharpener so pencils can be sharpened in situ)

good luck with your new job