1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New job and union.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rachelpaula008, Jul 20, 2015.

1. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Hello

I was in mainstream secondary for a number of years and moved from the NUT to NASUWT for a personal choice. I left mainstream because of work related stress. I haven't worked for 11 months and cancelled my fees with the second union.

I've recently had a trial period in a private PRU through a supply company. I really like it and the company would like to employ me. I know I need to be in a union. So - can I just call a union and rejoin? I know this is a bit of a stupid question, but I've been working late and the union's answer phone is always on by the time I get home.

Hope this question makes sense.

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

You can join online, don't need to call them. No idea if it makes any difference that you were a member and then you weren't, and now you want to be a member again - I'm sure that happens all the time really. They just want your money, so unless you and the union fell out BIG time, I can't see any problem.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In the past, I have known a union, when you wanted to rejoin, insist that you paid all the missing subs while you weren't in the union . . . happened to a colleague.

But it was 20 years ago, and may no longer be the case. If they do try that, just join another one!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The unions do seem anxious to tie you in for life. When I left mine, they told me I would no longer get any legal support from them even for things arising from when I was a member. So after 20 years of fees, if an ex-pupil makes an allegation, I get no help. I did stay a member while temporarily not teaching, and for a while after moving into HE, to maintain the protection.

5. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Don't join a union. Go with Edapt.

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It can, I acknowledge, never be anything other than a straw poll on these forums. However, I have witnessed at first hand appalling negligence in member support from all of the major teaching unions and frequently enough, I think, to not be able to put it down to bad luck.

I have also witnessed at first hand extraordinary support for a teacher from EDAPT. If I were ever back in teaching (God forbid), that's who I would join.

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It is not a trade union though, and trade unions are more than simply a vehicle to offer legal protection in case things go wrong. A lot of people want the solidarity of standing with their colleagues, especially in an era of no pay scales and significant change in teaching (PPA, STPCD). Of course, some people are happy just for the legal protection, but as far as I can see the ability for these groups to lobby on behalf of us as a profession is limited.

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

As a former regional rep passionate about union work, sadly I have to say I too have watched and heard so many cases where support is limited, withdrawn, not the calibre it should be? and when it comes to 'group action' hampered by the passivity of members rather than fuelled by unity.

My vote too would be for EDAPT.

9. rachelpaula008

Yes - this is what I have heard. It's confusing to say the least.

Thanks I'll try and get more info over the summer.

10. rachelpaula008

Yes. This is my position at the present, Dynamo. It's not ideal with my moral values (honest!) - but I've got to get back into work and look after myself. Selfish but true. I'm working with a small group of children with EBD who will very probably make allegation after allegation if and when they can. Mainstream made me lose confidence in the human race, so it's me myself and I at present : )

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will definitely look into Edapt.