1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Job and pregnant

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nicola7521, Aug 13, 2019.

1. nicola7521

nicola7521 New commenter

Hello,

I am new to TES and using forums however I'm hoping that someone can offer me some guidance/support.

I am due to start my new role as curriculum support at a secondary school this September which I am absolutely ecstatic about. However, having recently qualified as level 3 teaching and support in schools this will be my first fulltime role in a school as my current role is a training officer.

This is my situation, since being told I was successful in the role I discovered I am pregnant with my second child! I am obviously thrilled however feeling absolutely ill at the thought of starting a new role to then have to go on maternity leave 5 months later. To make matters worse I found out this news during the 6 weeks holidays and haven't had the opportunity to discuss it with anyone face to face. I have emailed the schools Senco whom I will be reporting too and she replied a very lovely email congratulating me, she also advised to inform the deputy head once I was ready too. I have done this but haven't received a reply, I would imagine she is on holiday or rightly so just not looking at her work mail during the holidays.

I guess I just want to know if anyone has been in similar position or can advice anything which might make me feel better about my situation.

Thank you for reading :)

Nic

2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Congratulations, and please don't feel bad about becoming pregnant. You will have 5 months in which to make your mark and show them how good you are in your role before going on maternity leave: the school will survive without you while you are off and you can then go back with your head held high if that is what you want to do. It's not a problem - it happens all the time!

3. nicola7521

nicola7521 New commenter

Thank you :) I absolutely plan on returning after maternity leave. I think my main concern is finding out that we are further on than we thought we would be and because I haven't been able to discuss it face to face with anyone.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It depends on the school. I had a colleague get pregnant between the successful interview. I wasn't privy to conversations between her and the head, but everyone got used to the idea quite quickly; she stayed at the school for another 10 years

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Congratulations.:) Any school worth taking you on will understand that these things happen and will be willing to accommodate you.

6. nicola7521

nicola7521 New commenter

Hello,

Thank you, that's reassuring to hear. I guess my situation coupled with the fact this will be my first job role in a school environment has added to my worries. I guess I need to have a little more faith :)

7. nicola7521

nicola7521 New commenter

Thank you and I hope so :)

catbefriender likes this.
  8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's a bit ironic really. We have legislation in place to stop employers discriminating on grounds of pregnancy. Moreover, I think many employers genuinely no longer let the odds of someone getting pregnant worry them. But still the mothers-to-be feel guilty and worried!

annascience2012 and peter12171 like this.
  9. nicola7521

nicola7521 New commenter

Hello, thank you for replying. Had I been in the role for a long time I don't think I'd feel as guilty. With our first child I'd been with my employer for some time so I felt ok about disclosing my news. The six weeks holidays and timing have been my biggest challenge as I would have liked to have had a face to face discussion with someone about my news rather than emailing it. I'm anxious about starting my first day of my new role with a big pregnant belly and feeling like I've mislead my new employer.

10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You'll be fine - the Senco has already been nice to you, and they're the one you'll be working with. You've done your best to let the deputy head know, and they'll understand that you couldn't tell them before the summer break if you didn't know yourself!

strawbs likes this.
  11. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I recruited an NQT back in 2007 and she told me in the September of that year that she was pregnant and the baby was due in March 2008. She was obviously very worried considering it was her first teaching role, but I immediately congratulated her. The teacher had the baby, returned to work in 2009, and by 2013, she was one of my AHTs before leaving in 2016 to take up a DHT post.
    I personally wouldn’t worry. Just celebrate the new excitement in your life!