1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New(ish) SENCo in Special Measures School

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by thethursdaygirl, Sep 10, 2011.

1. thethursdaygirl

thethursdaygirl New commenter

Hello everyone,
    I am in my 4th year of teaching and my school was last year made an academy. I had been covering the SENCo's maternity leave. The academy has now been fedorated with a local school in special measures. I have been seconded over for a year to replace their SENCo. We are due an HMI visit sometime before Christmas and I'm slightly bricking it. I really want to help get the school out of special measures. This is my action plan for the first 2/3 weeks of this term. I'd really love it if someone could make any suggestions of what else I could do to make a difference. I'm very lucky to also have some very supportive SENCos in my cluster who are helping me alot.
    Ok so I'm currently doing my National Award for SEN before anyone panics about that!
    I've made class SEN files because they were non-existent
    Booked in provision mapping meetings for this week to discuss and timetable interventions with each class teacher
    Sorted out the 'interesting' filing system which involved the childrens files just being on a shelf and not in a lockable cabinet
    Holding a staff meeting and making a display board to promote inclusion/ECM
    Booked training for TAs on phonics, fizzy, clever hands ect.
    Supporting less experienced teachers with planning intervention groups and setting IEPs
    Holding a monthly 'surgery' for parents to discuss concerns
    I've also had to start an SEN register from scratch.
    I've been a bit of a busy little bee but I'm terrified it is not going to be enough.

2. thethursdaygirl

thethursdaygirl New commenter

Hello everyone,
    I am in my 4th year of teaching and my school was last year made an academy. I had been covering the SENCo's maternity leave. The academy has now been fedorated with a local school in special measures. I have been seconded over for a year to replace their SENCo. We are due an HMI visit sometime before Christmas and I'm slightly bricking it. I really want to help get the school out of special measures. This is my action plan for the first 2/3 weeks of this term. I'd really love it if someone could make any suggestions of what else I could do to make a difference. I'm very lucky to also have some very supportive SENCos in my cluster who are helping me alot.
    Ok so I'm currently doing my National Award for SEN before anyone panics about that!
    I've made class SEN files because they were non-existent
    Booked in provision mapping meetings for this week to discuss and timetable interventions with each class teacher
    Sorted out the 'interesting' filing system which involved the childrens files just being on a shelf and not in a lockable cabinet
    Holding a staff meeting and making a display board to promote inclusion/ECM
    Booked training for TAs on phonics, fizzy, clever hands ect.
    Supporting less experienced teachers with planning intervention groups and setting IEPs
    Holding a monthly 'surgery' for parents to discuss concerns
    I've also had to start an SEN register from scratch.
    I've been a bit of a busy little bee but I'm terrified it is not going to be enough.