1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New in Alexandria

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by u2kezza, Jun 22, 2011.

1. u2kezza

u2kezza New commenter

Hi,
    Finally going to be in Alex from August. Am eager to meet other people living in Alex, I know the expat community is kinda small. Any ideas about things to do or join or places to enjoy yourself. Please contact me with a PM or respond on here.

Look forward to meeting new mates.
    Kerry

2. u2kezza

u2kezza New commenter

Thanks for the advice, but I have been to Alex many times and I like it. It's perhaps not for everyone but I am looking forward to it.
    I know pretty much most of the schools and believe me I am not ruining my career by any stretch of the imagination.

3. coupedeville

coupedeville New commenter

Sorry, am I missing something? You post like an Alex virgin then get all snippy when somebody posts something you don't like.
    If you know Alex and have been there many times you already know what is available socially. As seems apparent you are going to the school at the consulate, you again know what you are getting.
    Your original question is...?????
    I have one.What was the point of your original question?
    Is there something you really want/need to know or do you actually ( as it would appear from your follow up post) already know everything?
    Just curious... ;-)

4. rambo12

rambo12 New commenter

Agree with coupledeville and Mister Maker... I would listen to the advice given if I were you u2kezza. Sniping at posts from people that are trying to give you some info is a bit infantile. If you dont want to know the answers to your questions... then dont ask! duh.......[​IMG]

5. u2kezza

u2kezza New commenter

Wasn't aware I was being snippy that is certainly not my intention, never been accused of that before. I was simply saying I had been to Alex and know what it is like as place. I don't know it in a social capacity as I have never lived there, therefore I was asking a question and attempting to make some contacts before moving there. Obviously that wasn't such a good idea. Don't know if you are in Alex or not now but it certainly seems the 3 people that have responded so far are judgemental and unfriendly.
    Thanks for your input.

6. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Get yourself down to the Portuguese Club
    42 Abdel Qader Ragab St. Off El Horreya Rd.
    Kafr Abdou, Alexandria

<table style="margin-top:2px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Tel: </td><td style="direction:ltr;">03-5427599,
    There's normally teachers from all the schools in there but it can be a bit hit and miss
    This thread will be deleted in 5 4 3....

7. u2kezza

u2kezza New commenter

Cheers BFG & thanks Mister Maker. Also never been called a **** before, have been called far worse...it has been a day of firsts!

8. Well said BFG. I thought the poster was being given a bit too hard a ride (ooer..). I hate Alex but that's just my opinion. Portugese club is alright for a night out.
    So often u2kezza (?) being called a **** by some of the guffs on these threads is a huge compliment...
    I have been to Cyprus a dozen times but if I was going to work there, I would still be keen to get the 'residents' perspective'.
    It's the end of term - perhaps people are a little weary and irritable making them all too ready to call people names.
    Prats that they are...[​IMG]

9. Well, well. MM's post was 'retracted'? It was rather tetchy....

10. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

So why was my post about Yoda deleted?

11. rambo12

rambo12 New commenter

u2kezza... I think some of us have been a bit harsh in all fairness..... sorry [​IMG]

12. coupedeville

coupedeville New commenter

Missed all the name calling and glad to have done so. Responses to the OP are and were possible without resorting to that.
    I personally liked Alex, not a big socialite so happy that there was little social life. On the other hand, although there is more going on there I really can't stand Cairo.
    No offence to FP, BFG and others. at the end of the day it's whatever floats your particular boat.

13. Coups,
    You are one of many that can't stand Cairo; it's the the old some hate, some love thing.
    But if it's finding a dozen different things to do everyday, Cairo can't be beaten.
    For instance some might like to pop into downtown this afternoon, frequent several bars and pubs and by and large give their liver some serious exercise. And it could turn very ugly.
    Can't wait!

14. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

My post about my posts twice being pulled has been pulled. Three lots of complaints, presuming from the OP, have now been pulled. Will they go for a forth harmless post? Tetchy? far less so than many others deemed fine. I presume TES has a new moderator; surely it can't be the beautiful BEV pulling my innocuous rantings?

15. Absolutely. I thought you had pulled yourself off...rather than Bev having you pulled off....
    Whoever pulled you off, needs to ask themselves why in the big heavens would they want to pull you off. I wouldn't.
    NB: What have Superdave and MM got in common?
    Neither have worked anywhere for more than two years?

16. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Not true; I've had the odd long stint.
    Anyhow, I would like to know who pulled me off. I was most surprised when it happened and feel quite violated.

17. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I don't think there would be too many takers for that particular task. The application form would be too long.

18. You normally know.

19. u2kezza

u2kezza New commenter

ahhh well at least it got the craic going! [​IMG] cheers for the laugh!

I am sure I will have some adventures in Egypt. Sounds like everyone has a pretty good sense of humour...
    [​IMG]