1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Hod of Performing Arts

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by emacd21, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hi, I have gained a new position as HOD Performing Arts. While very excited I am finding it very daunting. I have to look after two departments that I know nothing about as well as my own subject. I am new to the job. Has any one have any advice on how and where to find overviews of subjects etc? These are new subjects to the school so we have to write the programs from scratch.
    Thanks! E

2. Hi, I have gained a new position as HOD Performing Arts. While very excited I am finding it very daunting. I have to look after two departments that I know nothing about as well as my own subject. I am new to the job. Has any one have any advice on how and where to find overviews of subjects etc? These are new subjects to the school so we have to write the programs from scratch.
    Thanks! E

3. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

Seek help! There'll be loads around. Online, people in similar situations in other Schools... most people are really good. When I got one of those I knew my own subject really well, one of the others quite well, could bluff'n'cope in a third - but the fourth flattened me. So I "flattered" all the people I knew who had real expertise in those areas, asked and thanked, and fortunately inherited a teacher in charge (who had not got the uberjob, so diplomacy was called for) of the subject I knew nowt about! By referring to their expertise and setting up situations that person could shine, and making sure they got the credit, I got loyalty where there could easily have been discord, - and an ill-deserved reputation for being really good at bringing other staff on! No-one EVER has to do it all from scratch; the wheel has been invented for a very long time. You must know something, or you'd not have got the job - build on that, don't be afraid to ask, but always give credit due. It's the best job in the school - enjoy it.