1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New HOD Drama and AQA GCSE DRAMA HELP

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by robofurby71, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am hoping that someone out there can help me, I moved to a new school in January to advance to HOD. Amongst several challenges I have inherited I have a year 11 GCSE group who have been working towards the AQA GCSE unfortunately I only have experience with Edexcel. From what I can find there has been very little in the way of evidence recorded for this group and it looks like I am going to have to cram two practical assessments in as well as prepare them for the exam, the moderator is due in March. The school has encountered a few problems over recent years and came out of special measures last year. Although everyone is supportive and is really pushing to improve standards within the school my department is in a bit of a mess. I am the third HOD in 2 years and the only other member of staff in my department is an expressive arts NQT who splits her time across the arts. Any advice/help/support that can be offered would be gratefully accepted.

2. Hi
    I am hoping that someone out there can help me, I moved to a new school in January to advance to HOD. Amongst several challenges I have inherited I have a year 11 GCSE group who have been working towards the AQA GCSE unfortunately I only have experience with Edexcel. From what I can find there has been very little in the way of evidence recorded for this group and it looks like I am going to have to cram two practical assessments in as well as prepare them for the exam, the moderator is due in March. The school has encountered a few problems over recent years and came out of special measures last year. Although everyone is supportive and is really pushing to improve standards within the school my department is in a bit of a mess. I am the third HOD in 2 years and the only other member of staff in my department is an expressive arts NQT who splits her time across the arts. Any advice/help/support that can be offered would be gratefully accepted.

3. Hi, sorry your having such a nightmare! I have been delivering the aqa drama spec for the first time over past couple of years so will try and offer some helpful advice...

the good thing about the written exam is that it is completely reflective (apart from the review of a play;section C - if I were you I would completely ignore this section and just focus on getting them through section A which is compulsory and section B; study and performance of a play). From now on get them to keep a detailed reflective file of what they learn in lessons in terms of the development of rehearsals/performance/character as this is mostly what the content of the exam calls for. The spec is written in such a way that the practical and written exam are intrinsically linked so wherever possible, teach both written and practical within the same lesson, as it sounds like time is definitely not on your side! The other good thing about the syllabus is that you can teach any play you want so play to your strenghts and you can have groups as little as 2 or as big as a whole class, so play to the groups strengths.

I know its not much, but I hope this helps!