1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New HoD 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by chris_martin, Aug 4, 2011.

1. chris_martin

chris_martin New commenter

Hey everyone,
    I have been teaching for 3 years now and I have been successful in getting a new position as Head of Languages in a fairly large inner city school.
    I am really nervous about starting. Any tips for a budding HoD?
    Many thanks, merci beaucoup!

2. chris_martin

Hey everyone,
    I have been teaching for 3 years now and I have been successful in getting a new position as Head of Languages in a fairly large inner city school.
    I am really nervous about starting. Any tips for a budding HoD?
    Many thanks, merci beaucoup!

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

Take time to see what is/isn't working in the Dept before making any radical changes.
    Read the SoW carefully and find out whether the dept is actually following it.
    Ask the team for their ideas and be approachable.
    Check what SLT attitude to Ebac is before going for it with all guns blazing (mine are ambivalent) as options are often more pleasant to teach than core subjects.

Good luck
    H
    (MFL teacher 20+ yrs; HoD 5 yrs)

4. chris_martin

Thanks Henriette, I appreciate that!

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I've been a HOD for the last year, I spent most of that year getting to know the dept schemes, the strengths and weaknesses, knowing the school and it's routines etc... This summer I am re-writing a new SOW for all 6 year groups to implement changes I found were necessary to improve things, but I couldn't have done that without knowing the school first.
    Listen to people, follow through on what you say, don't assume you know best, what worked in your previous school may not be suitable (although it could be!) for your new school. Don't keep saying 'In my last school we.....'

Good luck and enjoy it :)

6. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

Know your staff, encourage and support - play to their strengths and work on their areas for development.
    Be fair - in allocation of classes and resources, and be prepared to explain your reasons for a decision. When timetabling, give yourself more than your share of difficult classes.
    With your fellow HoDs, establish yourself at middle management meetings.
    Keep your SMT link informed and on your side.

7. Value your colleagues and work with them. Find out what motivates them, and use that - rather than using what motivates you as inspiration for them.

8. hi chris,

i got some good info from an ex pt. if you want to give me your email address i could send it to you?

ps i'm in the same situation as you and v. nervous!

9. alba21

alba21 New commenter

Hi jj30- sorry to be cheeky but any chance I could look at that info/advice too please? I'm also a new HOD this year.
    Thanks xx
    albanyd2@yahoo.co.uk

10. jj30 I am also a new HoD. Any chance of sending me that info? Much appreciated.

adismale@yahoo.co.uk

11. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Get the Head of Department pocketbook (about a fiver from amazon) - it has lots of little tips and it's short and cheap.

12. Not being contrary for the sake of it (honest!) but I bought that pocketbook and found it impressively unhelpful and un-insightful.

13. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Really? I found it good, mainly because each rubric was so short and it seemed quite comprehensive. I just don't have the time to read lots and lots of theory and it's quite practical, imho, particularly as I'm embarking on writing my SEF.

14. I just felt it pointed out the obvious without providing any depth or substance. For example, if I flick to p98, managing student behaviour the first bullet point is "set up a clear system for managing behaviour in your department". Well, yes, quite! What would be helpful would be some examples of best practice or at least list the qualities of a good system. I found that a lot of the book's content and advice was superficial and unhelpful in this way.

15. chris_martin

16. Me too if poss...

Jwa@glenthorne.Sutton.sch.uk

17. And me (sorry to be a pest!!)...

sammey90@hotmail.com

18. Hi John, I've "reported" your post because it's in breach of the terms & conditions and I felt it was unfair that you weren't disclosing your involvement with the product you were advertising. If you actually have authorisation by TES to do this I apologise to you and TES.

19. No problem brookes. I'm usually more careful about making my commercial interest clear and apologise for this error.

20. Hi jj30, can I also take your kind offer, please? this is my email:
    lamujermutante@yahoo.es
    I am also a new HoD this year, good luck to all of you who are on the same boat!