1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New hobbies.Ping Pong/ Table Tennis so relaxing and such fun.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, May 7, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I love table tennis. I took it up two years ago and have not looked back sincehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw3GJ2aTmjo

Anyone else enjoy the game? Or have fun stories about their games? Especially if you have played table tennis after a few cocktails.:):D.
    Let's chat about what hobbies we have taken up to promote the work, life balance.

2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Is indeed a great game and works the areas you need really...balance, hand to eye coordination, reflexes and legs. Although most of that is when hunting down the ball rather than the actual hitting of it!

Otherwise I think it's true that only jogging or running is something you can do with minimal need for planning and almost zero cost. I think you need that freedom feel of being in total control of your exercise to get maximum benefit and clubs, waiting for tables or courts, being restricted to a time slot etc ...nah, not for me !

calamansi likes this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There was a TV Programme about aging a while ago with Angela Rippon. Table tennis is supposed to be really good at stimulating all areas of the brain, increasing cognitive ability and staving off dementia. I somehow can't get interested, though, walking was also quite good so I'll continue with that.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

A good suggestion but if you intend to do anything more then a gentle and short jog more then once every now and then you really need to invest some money in a decent pair of trainers. Go to a "proper" running shop (not Sports DIrect) and they will advise. They will cost you a few bob though but you risk injury otherwise.

You don't need all the fancy skin tight Lycra however, unless you like it. ;).

5. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

We seem to have slipped out of hobby and into exercise mode. Not that there's anything wrong with exercise, of course.

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I prefer hobbies that don't make me leap about as much.
    My current ones stimulate my hand/eye coordination, encourage spatial awareness and frequently (thanks to the weather) some walking and even tree climbing.
    This suffices for me

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I like Table Tennis and also Lawn Bowling (so much harder than it looks)

8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We used to play tt on our pasting table when we were kids and yes I do play still but only occasionally.
    tai chi is my exercise of choice, and gardening my only hobby.

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I loved table tennis (would never allow it to be called the p*** p*** name) It's a great game and I agree re all the plus points mentioned so far.

As for jogging.... as an ex PE teacher.... I say unless you are 1. young and 2 sylph-like ....don't do it. Jogging/running on hard surfaces if so much as a few pounds overweight can lead to problems. Brisk walking is every bit as good for burning calories and so much better for you.
    Best of all is swimming..... you exercise every muscle group in the body and tis so good for the cardiovascular system.

I once played table tennis against the ex in one of the Halls of residence. I was having a bad day and unusually he beat me.... we then had the mother of all rows as he accused me of letting him win. That is just not in my make up. I was always a feature when playing as I used the Chinese "pen grip" style of holding the bat. I don't know how I came to hold the bat like that but I could never manage to change to another grip. I did have rather a good deceptive serve as I remember.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The ping on my microwave just went pong. Do you think it's OK?

HelenREMfan likes this.
  11. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

[​IMG]
    See the image above to find out how a table-tennis ball became an indispensable accessory for some of us who engaged during the late 1950s in what was then the exciting new pastime of sub-aqua swimming. Further ilustration below from Peter Small's 1957 book Your guide to underwater adventure of a family having fun in the water using similar equipment.
    SnorkelFun.jpg

12. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

Here's two guys at my club having a knock around:

13. delmamerchant

Joggling is good. I keep thinking about trying it. I find it weird that I can play table tennis all day but still not jog:).

14. delmamerchant

I love walking but have neglected it due to becoming obsessed with table tennis. I enjoy the lake district and am planning to conquer Scafell Pike, 3rd try.

15. delmamerchant

That is so true re running. Terribly bad for the joints if you do not have the correct equipment.

16. delmamerchant

so true. How quickly we digress. Hope we are not like this in the classroom:D Have I missed what your hobby is.

17. delmamerchant

I agree.

18. delmamerchant

It was first played on dining tables. So, I guess you were reliving history in a way:)

19. delmamerchant

Come on, tell us, No one will know. did you let him win?:):D

20. delmamerchant

:D:):):D

I say nothing:)