1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Headteacher.. bad time to join a school?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by LucSki, Apr 25, 2019.

1. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Hi All,
    An indie school I’m considering applying to had a headteacher last year when they had their ISI report (Feb time) and it seems since they have appointed a new head - I assume from Sept 18. I have been doing a lot of googling and can not find anything anywhere about what happened/why/where the other head went!! It’s driving me mad.
    The ‘new’ head is from a sister school. The old head seems to have vanished into thin air.
    Career wise - would you ask about this at interview? Do you think it’s might/can trigger another ISI inspection? Would it be a dodgy time to join the school?

I know I’m getting ahead of myself but just wanted any thoughts/conspiracy theories!!

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Q1: what does the inspection report say?
    Q2: what does the school website say? There's bound to be a news item there to say that the old HT is leaving ....
    Q3: what can you find out about the two people? LinkedIn?

But... a new HT will have new ideas and it can be a very exciting time. I'd avoid the conspiracy theory unless the answer to Q1 is iffy. New HT won't trigger an inspection unless the previous one was dodgy. And remember that ISI is significantly different to OfSTED in its approach - the majority of inspectors are currently working as HTs or deputies.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@LucSki
    Overthinking. Just put in an application and take it from there.

4. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

1 Finances
    2 Inspections
    3 Why new head now?
    4 Students
    5 Mission - aims

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think you’re massively, massively overthinking something that you have 1) no control over 2) no real right to know

6. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Thank you for Your thoughts and comments.. :)

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Given any post being advertised now will have a start date of September or January, the 'new' head will have been in post for at least a year, so pretty settled and anything that happened will be over and finished.

That said, the old head could simply have retired...hence 'disappearing'.
    Or they could have gone on to work outside of education.
    Or all kinds of reasons.

If the ISI report was damning about the head, then clearly there was a problem, that will have been solved before you arrive. Other than that, heads leave schools. It happens and is normal. Nothing at all to worry about.