1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Head, so no OFSTED for 12 months ?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by JorisBhonson, Dec 7, 2016.

1. JorisBhonson

JorisBhonson New commenter

Does anyone know if Ofsted can inspect a school whose new head has been in place for less than a year ? We are expecting the phone call as we are overdue a visit, but there is some suggestion that they leave well alone until new head has been in place for a year.

I have gone onto DfE sites and Ofsted criteria but can't find the answer. I am hoping someone out there knows for sure .

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

We had an ofsted inspection five months after I became a head! Five months!!
    The answer is yes. Ofsted can inspect a school at anytime!
    Good luck.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

OFSTED can inspect the school on your first day if they wanted to.
    If they did and it resulted in SM/ RI, then it wouldn't be your fault or responsibility for this, it would be your predecessor and potentially the SLT at fault.
    It would be a lot of pressure on you to get things 'fixed' but a real opportunity to prove yourself.

You don't state your role, how long has the HT been in place for? Since September or Easter- If the latter, Easter was 9 months ago, the HT should be now fully accountable and responsible for the outcomes as they have had plenty of time to get structure into place.

4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Yes, Jago is correct. There's no bedding in for new heads - if inspection is due then they come.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Spiritwalkerness

If school improved its grade who would claim the glory?

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Claim the glory yourself, why not!

8. DeputyDawg11

DeputyDawg11 New commenter

I'd been Head for 7 weeks when I got the call!!!!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Gosh, poor you!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. DeputyDawg11

DeputyDawg11 New commenter

In the end it turned out fine and gave a good mandate to move forward. However, my newness to the school played no part as they said that the inspection was today and I was the Head. Total baptism!

11. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

6 weeks for a school local to me with a new HT. Went into special measures from good. LA was expecting RI. Suspect it was tipped the other way so sponsored academy would be their only route.

12. Spiritwalkerness

School local to me had a new Head in the Sept and Ofsted came in during the second week

13. mrichmond

mrichmond New commenter

That is the same experience for me, new head normally means Ofsted come within the first term. Our new head had 8 days before they came.