1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New head about to start - how can we help?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by nickey1, Mar 15, 2015.

1. We have a new head about to start following a very unsettling past year with children leaving, the head suddenly retiring, children returning and head cover provided.

How can we help the new head, who will have some battles to fight?

Ofsted are overdue and if I'm honest we might make RI as we have recognised weaknesses and are working towards putting them right.

2. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

See if your LA has a head mentoring service. Mine does. It links a new head to a well seasoned head who can be there day to day on the phone to guide them. Get them also to buddy up pronto with cluster heads. See if there is also someone on the self improvement team at the council that can assist from time to time on the phone.

Lastly, your chair and GB are integral to assisting this head right from the start. See what CPD they need as well. Support, Support, Support! especially with ofsted looming.

3. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

Could not agree more. In Dave Harris's book ( recommended on the site by Ruthie) 'Brave Head' one uses the expression, 'relentless support', to explain how he improves things.

Perhaps, as a staff, you could give some kind of group welcome to confirm to the head you are all going to pull together. It should mean a lot. Remember, however, actions speak louder than words.

If some of the battles are with staff then, sadly, it all becomes more difficult. Be careful not to post anything which might identify the school.

It is praiseworthy that you are seeking advice on was to help and others, more knowledgeable than I, will post helpful advice.

very best wishes.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

HTs have loads of demands on their time, some of them really trivial - and these trivia detract from their leadership as they soak up time and energy. So make sure there's plenty of willing, practical support - from photocopying to defusing phone calls and emails.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm late on this, but wanted to add (for this and any other governors with this query): please governors, always make an appointment if you want to spend some time with the head. Governors often just drop in and the head feels obliged to give them as much time as they're willing to sit there, etc - don't assume the head is able to give you the time you want at the drop of a hat.