1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New grammar, spelling and punctuation test sample materias

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Jun 30, 2012.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

have just seen the new sats test sample materials on the education.gov.uk website. I wondered what anyone else thought about them? to me, they don't seem anywhere near as hard as I was thinking they would be...
    However on the other side;
    1. there will be a lot of teaching to test which will be very easy to do with this type of test
    2. how will they level it based on the underlining of words and filling in of words?
    3. what is the point of it? and what will it actually show?
    4. how will knowing how to translate something in to the passive voice or from reported to direct speech, ever help them in the real world?
    thoughts???

2. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

i couldn't find them - do you have a link?

3. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree it doesn't seem very hard at all. My better year 2 writers would be able to do all but questions 7, 8, 11 and 13 and they are only really level 3 writers. Level 5 writers ought to have some sort of challenge surely?

The level 6 test only seems to test if you know what various aspects of grammar are called. If you've learned those, you're sorted!

5. I agree. Most the questions, including the Level 6 ones, are very easy. But who knows exactly how the information will be used and what kind of score is expected.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I'm a bit disappointed with the rationality behind what are put as "grammar" questions.
    The question about what are supposed to be different kinds of noun, for example, implies some poor thinking about grammar.

7. markuss

You know what I mean? To me, it smacks of "This is what we were taught in the grammar school and it never did us any harm".

8. markuss

In the BBC report:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18632399 there's:
    <font size="2">Plans for new primary school grammar tests in England will hold a "gun to the head" of teachers, experts say.</font><font size="2">The National Association for the Teaching of English says a revised focus on spelling, grammar and punctuation will "impoverish" teaching.</font><font size="2">Its chairman, Dr Simon Gibbons, says the reforms are based on ministers' "diminishing memories of their own grammar- and public-school educations".</font><font size="2">He told the BBC News website: "Most English teachers try to teach grammar in context rather than through formal exercises. There's very little evidence of a benefit to teaching grammar in that way.</font><font size="2">"It's a throwback to the 1950s' formal grammar teaching."</font><font size="2">He also criticised plans to introduce a new national grammar test, called the technical aspects of English, for all pupils in the top year of primary school.</font> Looking at those sample grammar questions, you definitely think of a very old style approach to grammar - not 21st century at all.

9. I'm not sure if I agree with the tests or not.
    Having looked at the examples though, I'm really going to have to get my head round adverbs once and for all!

Which are the adverbs in the sentence: 'Open the drawers carefully and quietly when using the filing cabinet.' ?
    Ok, I know that carefully and quietly are adverbs, but what about 'when'?

10. markuss

It's used as a conjunction here.
    However:
    "When" - interrogative adverb: "When did you close the drawers?"
    Relative adverb: "Saturday was the day when I closed...

11. When did you buy that lovely dress?' That'll confuse them.

12. Confuse them?? It's confusing me! It's the one area, that I just can't get my head round. I've got some serious work to do in this.

13. miss may

miss may New commenter

Isn't '...when using the filing cabinet' an adverbial phrase?

14. markuss

Technically, no. Its a non-finite subordinate clause.

15. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Wouldn't that make it an adverbial clause?

16. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

It is a non-finite subordinate clause with an adverbial function. M

17. I am quite disappointed with this test. I am quite an advocate for Primary children needing to be taught with greater emphasis on the importance of grammar and spelling, but this test seems to focus largely on knowing what different parts of writing are called! What possible use is that!?
    Many of my poorer writers could manage the labelling aspects of the test (and probably much of the usage stuff like identifying correctly used speech marks etc) It won't matter a jot in their everyday writing though, where they will continue to 'forget' to use them!
    Utterly pointless if this is the final format. Won't make a blind bit of difference to their writing. I was expecting something much more geared towards testing their ability to apply good grammar and punctuation.

18. markuss

Yes, a non-finite subordinate (adverbial) clause. Agreed.

19. For writing English, none whatsoever.
    This is probably aimed at making the learning of foreign languages easier.
    As someone who speaks several quite well, I would say that learning grammatical terms does not help with those either.

20. Some aspects look quite easy for the better writers, but think I'll have problems with EAL and Lancashire dialect ... We'll be doing lots of spoken practice I think!!