1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Governor smells of alcohol....

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by fieryredhead, Nov 23, 2019.

1. fieryredhead

fieryredhead New commenter

Hello all,
    New head here and juggling many new challenges but one has me stymied. I have inherited a depleted governing board and have been on recruitment drive since taking up post. One parent has come on board recently, has needed some support to engage with reading emails etc but is now getting up to speed & seems to have much to offer. Long story short, they have been in school for two monitoring visits lately & staff & other governors have reported smelling alcohol strongly on them. I would agree that I have had whiffs of this too. They do not appear drunk, but there is an undeniable odour. The family have children in our school,no safeguarding concerns although they do show challenging behaviour. Both parents engaged on the surface. How would you approach this? What steps do I need to take? I can only find advice regarding employees. Many thanks for reading

2. install

install Star commenter

Be frank and open. Tell them what you have been told...who knows it may be they were celebrating a Birthday. But it would be fair they are told what has been discussed with you.

Maybe they genuinely don't realise how alcohol is perceived now or even the smell of it. The alternative is to give all governors an overview of the kind of professional behaviour expected by all.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Why does it matter? Other things smell of alcohol besides alcohol, anyway. My cousin always smells of alcohol because she is diabetic. Even if it is alcohol, I am not aware of any rule about governors not drinking alcohol

install likes this.
  4. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

You need to speak to your Chair who needs to speak to the governor in question. Staff Code of Conduct policy normally has something about being under the influence of alcohol on school premises- do governors have a similar policy?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The place to raise this is confidentially with the Chair. Do you have regular 1-to-1 meetings with the Chair? It's the Chair's responsibility to deal with issues about how governors behave when carrying their duties. As a Chair of Governors myself I would follow it up by having a 'quiet word' with he governor concerned.

From your post it doesn't sound like a particularly serious matter as you say he wasn't actually drunk, but hard to tell without having been there. Personally I would never have a drink before going into school as a governor but there aren't any specific rules that say you can't (unless the governor was actually drunk/aggressive/safeguarding concern).

Governing bodies do adopt Codes of Conduct - this one for example - but I haven't seen one that goes into governor conduct to this level of detail. There is no equivalent for governors of a staff disciplinary policy which could make it a disciplinary offence for staff.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

It doesn't sound like they were under the influence