1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Government White Paper

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Nov 11, 2011.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

A friend of mine has just returned from the British Embassy here in Doha, where she was told by some financial consultant or accountant chap that there are plans afoot to change the tax laws for expats. The new law or laws will mean that it will be impossible to claim to be "non-resident for tax purposes" if you still have a property in the UK. She also said that the new legislation would mean that you could only visit the UK for TEN days each year, rather than the current ninety, while retaining your "non-resident" status. Is this all correct? Has anyone else heard something similar? Could lots of expat teachers find themselves with huge bills for Income Tax on their foreign earnings when they return to the UK?

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

3. stopwatch

I bumped it up instead - easier. I didn't realise it but I started the thread myself. Must ask Santa for a new memory for Christmas. Now where's that goldfish......

4. Sandman

Sandman New commenter

Excellent news only 10 days with the mother in law next summer.

5. stopwatch

Every cloud and all that....