1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New government advice for schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, May 11, 2020.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It's available here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-measures-in-education-and-childcare-settings

Haven't got time to post all the key points, but just a couple:
    - half classes to attend;
    - if there aren't enough teachers, TAs can take a half-class;
    - PPE is unnecessary for teachers, even if 2m can't be maintained;
    - everything staggered: start & finish times, breaks, assembly groups, lunchtimes;
    - teachers & groups to stay together in same room every day;
    - clean everything all the time, whenever it's been used (who will do that?)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ah that answers my query as to why they've started with Primary as opposed to Secondary.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If it's 2m for everyone else,

it's 2m for me.

Or jog on.

Sounds crazy. They don't even know how much children are transmitting yet.

We can't afford TAs

We can get 6 pupils in a room socially distancing, 8 absolute max at a push.

4. rararasputin

rararasputin Senior commenter

We have some classes of 30 in Y10, no way can we get 15 in a classroom, 2m apart. And as for staggered assemblies??!!

5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

No breaks for teachers then.

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

If people are told to work from home and Zoom meet, why can't teachers continue to teach online (vulnerable and keyworkers' children aside). I'm not saying it's the same as 'real' teaching, but then many workers complain that Zoom meetings and their online wfh is nothing like the real thing, and while some children don't do very well at remote learning, others are saying they can work much better and prefer things this way, without constant distractions from badly behaved children-who quite honestly often don't work even when they're in school...so if we're supposed to wfh, why shouldn't we all continue as we are?
    As for the argument that people who have children who aren't in school should get 'sympathy' from their employers, as Boris put it, when I had childcare problems many moons ago, they were said to be my problems and not an acceptable reason to be off. Sure, Covid is very serious and affects more people, but there have been many occasions in the past when parents had serious and genuine reasons for struggling with childcare.

Ro13, ukpaul, BetterNow and 2 others like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Lots of unanswered questions I think -

So -can a teacher refuse to teach on ‘safety grounds’ in the event that their classroom is not measured out, taped up at a 2m distance, and cleaned regularly?

What about books - the virus can spread by touch?

How do you stagger breaks and do children go out and play or not? Won’t it be more a toilet / food break ?

And what about travel within the school corridors?

Does every paint brush / pencil / pen / desk have to be cleaned?

Isn’t this a bit of a guinea pig approach and will parents be fined if they refuse to send their children to school?

What about ethnic groups who seem to be more affected by the virus than others?

With Wales and Scotland still in lockdown are we making things too confusing?

8. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

Heads and MATs can risk assess their own situation and manage it differently but will they?

How can you be stuck in the same room all day? Toilets? If they are not to mix with other groups (so it is your EYFS, Y1 &Y6 split into groups of 15) how do you coordinate use of toilets - one lot serves the whole KS! We are one form entry so staff not familiar with the age group will be teaching kids in rooms not geared up for the age group and again the “Emergency” cover room will have to continue somewhere. I can see it taking all day to rota the groups through lunch!! As for staggered drop off and collect - chaos. Meanwhile those of us in Y2,3,4 & 5 will be in school teaching groups we don’t know and monitoring the learning of our own classes as well. That’s double the work!! Just cannot be done. Unless they envisage a TA being with the other half of the cohort in school. But how can that be right ifor a TA to stay with them in the same room all day?

This is just the logistical headache never mind the health situation. It cannot be good to keep 15 plus their teacher in a small room all day even with all the doors and windows open. I have one sink in my room. How will we manage all the hand washing? The hay fever season in full swing too. Marvellous. The only consolation seems to be some vague notion kids are not really Infectious. Primary teachers are now going to provide the case study to confirm or refute that argument.

MarieAnn18, install, suz h and 8 others like this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well the more basic reason is starting Primary serves a more pressing child care need. You cannot leave your Primary kids alone at home, but at Secondary level there's a sliding scale where you can, plus older siblings of Secondary kids can be child carers, whereas older siblings of Primary kids does not profile in the same way as "safe"
    In the PM briefing today, BJ had a video question from one of the Jo Publics, which shamelessly queried how one is supposed to go back to work if the child care facility of school is not available.
    Made me sizzle a bit, but that's the teacher me. I wanted another Jo Public to pop up and ask "how is my child supposed to get an education if the educating facility of school is not available?".
    He was just making a practical point I suppose.

Ro13, bombaysapphire, LiamD and 2 others like this.
  10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This is the certainty. Sounds like the teacher will have to take lunch and lunchtime duty with the class.

Has any teacher been given the virus in the schools presently open? (No agenda here, I honestly do not know)

Parents will not be fined. I think the hope is when they see other kids happy and enjoying school, they will give up their resistance.

Jonntyboy likes this.
  11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

At last, an opportunity for unions to do something to earn the fees they charge instead of just doing their Uriah Heap hand-wringing, making excuses.
    But by the same token, teachers will have to stand up to be counted as those of us in the 80s did.

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It isn't so clear cut though. Like the advice to other workers, it is only 2m unless you can't - so then you don't.

Screenshot_20200511-223657-01.jpeg

Jamvic likes this.
  13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

47 teachers have died. ONS figures.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

Here’s what they should have done imho:

Decided that Exams will not happen for another year and continue to use Teacher Assessment

Stop Ofsted inspections for a further 2 years

Begin by implementing continental type days eg 9am - 1pm on a rota basis for a key year group

Continue to allow students to be taught via Home Learning but ensure that a school apt/ phone call is made to check every 3 wks

Continue to allow the vulnerable to be child minded and those of key workers who need the facility

Ensure all schools are ‘safe’ with a consistent approach for all. Eg A one way system around all school corridors with clear markings / A designated desk for each student / / A relaxing of uniform rules and allowing all to wear scarves or masks

15. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

This will guarantee that the horrible pain that I am currently experiencing (not through school in my case) will be replicated when this is actually avoidable. Absolutely, f*cking criminal negligence.

16. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

Don’t worry those of us in nursery don’t have to worry about social distancing- we just have to ‘bleach!‘ everything in the building between the am and pm children- in the 30 mins we have to eat and set up- and all soft toys and furnishings to go- and toys that are complex to clean... disinfect books, tables, door handles between sessions. I have 128 children in my school nursery On 1:13 ratios over a day! It cannot be done, we cannot deep clean between sessions. I swear no EYFS person has helped write that absolute twaddle!

17. install

install Star commenter

Which raises questions / other problems imho:

Will teachers have the right to a regular coronavirus test as front line workers ?

Will teachers families be given the same £60,000 that nhs workers have had in the event of a death due to work?

Is it still the case that people / families should self isolate for 14 days if they have symptoms? And what if they have already self isolated before ?

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Very sad indeed.

19. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

The answers to all your questions is contained within the DFE link posted by OP

chelsea2 likes this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

Thank you I have already looked. It doesn’t really answer the questions in enough detail on a practical level imho.

agathamorse likes this.