1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New GCSE Science Exams

Discussion in 'Education news' started by chimichanga, Feb 4, 2016.

1. chimichanga

chimichanga New commenter

Hello I was looking at examples of the new GCSE AQA science exams and they look - well very hard! There are Foundation and Higher versions but I was talking to another science teacher yesterday and she thinks there will now only be one paper i.e. a common tier.

Does anyone know if this is correct I've scoured the net and can't find out anything about it?!

Also where is the best place to get up to date information on this? I've tried to find a forum or blog without any success.

The only information I did find was on the OFQUAL website but it was out of date.

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Computing / Computer Science (which counts as a science) is no longer tiered - some nonsense about students being able to access the full range of grades. I'm not convinced.

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Looks like it's a common thread - one exam tier levels 1 -9. Bit like the old days of GCEs (only 5 grades)

4. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

How long before they change their minds once again and go back to the current structure!

5. chimichanga

chimichanga New commenter

Blimey it's going to be carnage!

6. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Not really bothered about this, I am simply glad to to well out of it.

Anyway a quick google produced this from an OCR document for Maths. (first relevant comment I came across)

Tiering used for subjects where ‘untiered papers will not allow students at the lower end of the ability range to demonstrate their knowledge and skills, or will not stretch the most able’.

Maths will be tiered with an ‘improved overlapping tiers model’, with a Foundation tier covering grades 1-5 and a Higher tier covering grades 4-9.

It also included:

Key structural features of the new GCSEs confirmed by Ofqual include:

From the little I've seen, it looks as if Science is one of the subjects qualifying for tiered papers.
    The Subject Officers at the relevant exam board should have the most up to date confirmation.