1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NEW GCSE SCIENCE CHOICE EDEXCEL or OCR adv ? disadv?

Discussion in 'Science' started by sciencebloke, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am just pondering whether or not to choose between Edexcel or OCR gateway / 21st Century.
    We have always done AQA as our main course and have had experience of OCR gateway.
    But Im not sure about the advantages disadvantages of Edexcel vs either or both the OCr courses..
    One of the advantages of Edexcel is the removal of transferrence cost between GCSE and BTEC. Edexcel registered pupils can move between the two free as of next year butim *** interested in the quality of content and controlled assessment units or ISAS (AQA)..I dont know what they are called for OCRs..

Any input much appreciated.

Thanks
    Sciencebloke

2. Hi all,

I am just pondering whether or not to choose between Edexcel or OCR gateway / 21st Century.
    We have always done AQA as our main course and have had experience of OCR gateway.
    But Im not sure about the advantages disadvantages of Edexcel vs either or both the OCr courses..
    One of the advantages of Edexcel is the removal of transferrence cost between GCSE and BTEC. Edexcel registered pupils can move between the two free as of next year butim *** interested in the quality of content and controlled assessment units or ISAS (AQA)..I dont know what they are called for OCRs..

Any input much appreciated.

Thanks
    Sciencebloke

3. OCR Gateway has a lot of content - so much so that we struggle to finish the triple science even though we start in year 9. The controlled assessments look like they will take over 5 hours each and will need a lot of prep. Having taught AQA in the past I'd say their Physics syllabus is much better in terms of a coherent narrative etc. Gateway is very very context driven and involves the learning of a lot of facts rather than learning to 'think like a Physicist' Needless to say I am looking to move to the IGCSE when I can.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The "new" 21st Century looks to be a bit of an improvement on the old "not fit for purpose" qualification. There is more real science and less flim flam. Early modules are a big turn off for less able students though - very little practical work. Case studies are also very difficult for less literate students.
    We can't afford the new pack of learning resources, the old ones were behaviour unfriendly.
    P

5. OCR gateway is easy but boring, thats how id describe it.

Very hard to get through the content and deliver practical lessons. It will leave you asking pupils to do extra work outside the classroom to fill in 'basic facts', if you do use your imagination to come up with practical lessons.

However, i tutor pupils who do AQA and Edexcel, and in my opinion, the exam papers are easier to answer in OCR.

6. I agree with some of the comments made:
    OCR gateway written examination papers were so much easier than any other Exam boards but unfortunately the science in the news markscheme was a nightmare for the staff to comprehend.
    My first glance at OCR 21st Century, I thought the discussive nature of the units and the contextual aspect of it did not suit our type of pupils either.
    Interestingly, I have noticed a number of single sex girls school tending to go with the OCR 21st Century suite.
    My staff have just started to get a feel of the ISAs and it has been so much easier to assess ... but I felt new AQA marking criteria was just too similar to the OCR gateway science in the news type.. and Edexcel Criteria for assessing CAU under the new spec is more staff and pupil friendly... but am i the only one thinking like this?
    Sciencebloke

7. Good points made above.

However, OCR gateway is now moving away from the Science in the News, and more towards the ISA's which i think are far far better scientific studies, that let you teach how to do practicals properly.

They are akin to the old style marking systems too. POAE???
    But....

The OCR specimen papers look a little harder now with extended quesitons and sections on HSW, which were rare (but really common and hard on AQA multiple choice).
    OCR for me still......(gateway, im not a girl.....)

8. well everyone,
    how are your new gcse courses getting on? which board did you all choose and why?
    sciencebloke

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you do triple science I suppose you can choose different boards for each subject if you wish?