1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New GCSE Resources - Help!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by njohnson1312, Jun 27, 2017.

1. njohnson1312

njohnson1312 New commenter

I'm starting a new school/job in September as HoF for MFL (French/German) and need some advice on what people recommend for teaching the new spec. I will be using AQA, so there's the choice of OUP or Pearson textbooks etc.
    Anyone got any preferences, and why? I've not been HoF this year, so haven't really been keeping up to date with what's new in terms of resources, and I now need to get things ordered for September!

Thanks in advance!

2. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

3. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

Will you have colleagues in your new school? I would consult them first before buying any resources. They will know their children and what is likely to suit/not suit them. Arriving in September with a pile of new resources and not having consulted might not go down very well...

4. njohnson1312

I'm going to a very small school where I'm a one woman MFL team, so no one else to consider.
    Sorry I maybe should've mentioned that.

5. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

As the course has been running for a year already, haven't they already acquired resources? Have they shown you what's there already?

6. njohnson1312

They do GCSE in a year so I'm the first to do this course

7. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

We love the OUP book

8. njohnson1312

Great, thanks for this. All I wanted was some feedback on OUP/Pearson.
    Follow up question - Do you have the Audio CDs? If so, do they include both foundation/higher or do they have to be bought separately?

Thanks

9. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

We use the Pearson - more accessible to our pupils than the OUP. The trade off is that there is a lot more material in the OUP, but it is very dry. We just supplement the higher groups with materials we make. If we have time. But actually it's only just possible to get through the Pearson (two hours a week, over 2 years)

10. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

(Forgot to say, if you have the Activeteach with Studio, it includes all sound and video files and has a large number of downloadable resources, such as speaking and translation worksheets. There are also video worksheets and you can give pupils a code so they can do the listening or video exercises at home on their computers/phones. There is also an excellent Grammar and Translation work book - but at £5.99 per child it's not cheap, as you can only use them once)

11. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

In response to much earlier comment- I bought the CDS separately for OUP- they are fine!